Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

nosrac

#3 rods
« on: 18/07/2008 at 13:04 »
Hi Folks
As you can see i have put my seven weight rod up for sale.
I am looking to buy a three weight, have seen a sierra sweep rod for £70.
The question is a #3 strong enough for still waters?
Have been using my #5/6 shakespeare rod the last few months and really would like to fish as light as possible.

Have just started fishing my local club river  (Cowie) Stonehaven and district and have caught some little brownies which has been great fun. :z4

Am thinking of applying to join Aberdeen and district is this worth doing? :roll

clark

Re: #3 rods
« Reply #1 on: 18/07/2008 at 17:27 »
i would strongly suggest that u do due to the fact that u can fish beats on the don , the dee, the ythan, a beat at fyvie, and the loch of loriston for rainbows browns and also blue trout! its is brilliant value for money as i am a junoir and pay £40 for the year and i have also won £20 back from the competitions which are held !! hope this encourages u to atleast look in to it some more :grin

here is a link to the home site www.adaa.org.uk

tight lines

clark

kenny

« Reply #2 on: 18/07/2008 at 19:25 »
Hi Carson
if you are thinking of going down to a 3wt speak to mike first as he does a great 3wt, and to answer your  question if there are ok for stillwaters it is yes. i use a 5wt but a lot of boys come to haddo with 3wts and catch double figure fish as well as being in float tubes.

kenny.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 18/07/2008 at 22:49 »
My only words of caution are don't expect a #3wt to be as versatile or as much as an all rounder as, perhaps, a #5wt is. That said, #3wts are belting good fun  :z16 Despite opinions of some angling worthys, you can dominate big fish surprisingly well/quickly with a #3wt  :cool:

Certainly the Barrio #3wt is well worth a look  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2008 at 10:16 »
I now have a 3 weight XP and that has landed rainbows to 8 pound without any dramas! I used to fish the Cowie with a 2-3 weight 7 foot cane rod some 20 years ago and that was the perfect rod for fishing there as cane handles short lines much better than carbon ever will.  :z4

If you get a 3 weight for stillwater (and it will handle the fish) then you can slightly overweight it with a 4 or 5 DT for fishing short on the cowie :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2008 at 19:16 »
Hi Carson,

Firstly a 5/6 weight rod would, arguably, be considered ‘light' by a large percentage of anglers but I would consider this a good all-rounder for stillwaters (not knowing where or the methods you intend to fish).
I have no doubt that the 3 wt can handle any 'stillwater' fish that you are likely to encounter and would be an excellent choice for the Cowie and Carron. It would have its' limitations when bank fishing a stillwater where distance required, wind and fly size/type  may be an issue.

This is where the slightly heavier weight would be an advantage.........I thought that I'd found my perfect rod in a 9' 5wt Guideline but that has been pushed, temporarily maybe, aside by the 9' 4wt version which think is a fantastic all-rounder - I used it in that howling conditions yesterday at Lochter and must have cast a lonely shadow casting and stepping along the down-wind bank but picked up 9 fish just yards from the bank.

it's much more rewarding to fish a lighter outfit at shorter distances and use the head than to follow the bicept brigade

By the way I use the Barrio 3wt for my river trouting and it is a pleasure to use - give it a try.

Happy hunting

Iain

nosrac

« Reply #6 on: 21/07/2008 at 11:03 »
Hi
Think i will opt for a #4 rod seen the guidline package that glasgow angling centre are doing .
This will let me fish most situations from river to loch.
As for techniques i am trying to stay away from lures but fish dry, wet, nymphs and buzzers.
Need to sell my #7 rod first though!

Also has anyone else been to Jamaica and have they ever fished out there.
Going out there to get married at end of Aug and staying for two weeks hopefully get chance to wet a line somewhere .

Thanks
Carson

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 21/07/2008 at 14:16 »
Also has anyone else been to Jamaica and have they ever fished out there.

No, but we have an office there on one of the chaps is a keen angler! To the North its all big game, with Wahoo, Barras, Marlin etc...Southern is the shallow water species like Bonefish which you can fish for on any shallow beach.

All I can say is..you lucky b@gger!!!!

nosrac

« Reply #8 on: 21/07/2008 at 14:24 »
What you mean Rob?

Gettin married or going to Jamaica  :z4

nosrac

« Reply #9 on: 21/07/2008 at 14:27 »
Cheers for the info Rob do you know of any contacts or tackle shops that do trips.
Really intrested in the Bone fishing
Thanks
Carson

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 21/07/2008 at 15:58 »
I'll send an e-mail to him....see what he says...

regards
Rob

puddock

« Reply #11 on: 22/07/2008 at 01:24 »
Carson
I have a Barrio 3weight at home. I get back from Nigeria on Wednesday so I'll ask Caroline (guessed who it is yet?) to take it into her work Thursday if you'd like to borrow it and try it out until we get back from Cyprus (10th August).
I love it ! never use 5 wt anymore........... At least you'll get a chance to "try before you buy" for a couple of weeks.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 22/07/2008 at 08:25 »
Carson,
He sent me a couple of links last night..might be useful for you...

http://www.portoseguro.tur.br/articles/fishinginjamaica.htm

http://www.rentalboatcharters.com/fishing-charters/Jamaica He recommends "No Problem Charters"...but the deep sea fishing is not cheap..around $1000 a day! This is the group he goes out with for Marlin.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Lured-to-Sport-Fishing?-Jamaica-Hooks-More-Than-Your-Attention&id=78923

Hope they help a little...

nosrac

« Reply #13 on: 22/07/2008 at 09:18 »
Hi
Puddock got a better idea you manage to go to raemoir on Sat (if you get a pass) Might be able to drag Craig along . Would much appreciate a shot of the rod if you can not get a pass fae Caroline.

Cheers Ron.

Carson

nosrac

« Reply #14 on: 22/07/2008 at 09:27 »
Thanks for the links Rob they will come in useful.
Don't know if i will manage to go deep sea fishing, last time i went in Peterhead Lido with my Dads 16foot Boat lasted all of 20 mins before realised i don't have sea legs .

Thanks again for your help
Carson

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com