Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

sightbob

orkney
« on: 11/07/2008 at 22:40 »
hi all
going to orkney next week and was wondering about float tubing, is it allowed?
i will be staying next to the loch of sabiston, any info on this loch would be great.
cheers
brian

stickleback

Re: orkney
« Reply #1 on: 12/07/2008 at 22:12 »
I'm sure I've read elsewhere that you can use float tubes.  However, just to be safe I suggest you visit the Orkney Trout Fishing Association website and use the "Contact Us" button and ask them direct - they'll hopefully confirm you can use your float tube and give you good suggestions about which lochs are best for that purpose.
http://www.orkneytroutfishing.co.uk/

« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2008 at 13:49 »

Nice to see you taken to the tube Brian,when did you take your maiden voyage.Well done :cool: :z4.

Orkney is meant to be a Floattubers haven Orkney Steve is the man for info.

Henry  :z18

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2008 at 14:47 »
Loch of Sabiston is a small very shallow loch with a head of mainly small brown trout. It is probably too shallow in most places to float tube, its water level was lowered many years ago. Many of the other lochs should fish very well using the float tube, it will allow you easy access to the numerous skerries in lochs like Harray, Hundland and Swannay. Other lochs like Stenness and Boardhouse dont have so much skerries and are probably better covered by boat.

sightbob

« Reply #4 on: 13/07/2008 at 21:32 »
thanks guys, still to have my maiden voyage, would have liked a voyage before i went.
might nip down to delgaty for a try this week , still don't have flippeers though!

uli

« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2008 at 08:41 »
Great fishing and free.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2008 at 12:22 »
lucky for some.i havent been over there for two years

the lock your staying at when i fished it it was so shallow we never had fins on loads of fish about the 10 inch mark.get yourself onto harry.its shit hot loads of fish normally about the pound.we never found a bad lock.all top class

if you can take a trip to the other island(rousey, sandy,or westry).there worth a cast or two aswell

did i tell you how lucky you are

stuart

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com