Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Mike Barrio

Grampian League ( Copied from the old forum )
« on: September 07, 2006, 00:57:43 AM »
( First post by "Dave Basford" )
Has anyone come upon this new project? Someone visited our fishery and left a sheet for us to participate. It is cheap to join and may encourage more fishers - that's on the positive. On the negative it looks a bit like the previous north east group except that here they do not dictate fishery prices etc.

Have a look at the website and I would welcome comments.

www.grampianleague.co.uk
Dave

( Reply by "gunner100" )
Hi Dave,

First time I have seen this promo. There is little or no info as to what the £15 registration will be used for , prizes, admin, holidays to wherever or what. I suspect that the best source would be a mail to the sponsor, only one so far that I can see.

Best regards,
Lyall

( Reply by "Fishingthefly" )
Hi folks

Funny that this should come up today as I heard about it this afternoon ....... an angler had been asked to "mention" it to me to see if I was interested in taking part, as the person putting it together had not had time to pay me a visit.

I don't really know any more details about it than you Dave ( I have no leaflet either ) but I believe that this is being put together by somebody associated with Raemoir in some way?

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

( Reply by "Dave Basford" )
I have an admin email contact:

admin@grampianleague.co.uk

I think I will forward a few questions. Basically I am for it, but I would like to know if the aim is to promote fishing, whether there is anything for juniors. I would also be more keen if any profit was used towards buying gear for kids or even donated to a local charity.

Dave

( Reply by "Alan" )
Evening Guys

My Name is Alan and I am the guy responsible for theses flyers appearing at the fisheries. My initial aim was to speak to all the fisheries in Grampian and gauge the interest before announcing any details to anglers but……. No time like the present.

Im not sure how many of you’s have seen the flyer so forgive me if I am covering old ground.

As an avid fishery angler living in Aberdeen, I spend a lot of my time speaking to and fishing with anglers from all over the Aberdeenshire area and we have come to note that there is no one body or organisation that caters for or promotes the “Grampian fishery angler”. While doing some research on the internet it appears that there are a few fisheries associated to this body and a few associated to that body, but nothing consistent and while most fishery organise competitions the vast majority of these are of the “in-house” type with only one or two “inter fishery” competition in the whole of Grampian.

My proposal is for a “Grampian Fly Fishing League” which would be totally independent of all fisheries but would have most, if not all, of them in them Grampian as Participating Fisheries. The main aim of which is to promote the sport of fly fishing in Grampian in general by organising competition between anglers of all abilities while continually striving to reach as many new participants as possible.

Anglers from all over Aberdeenshire, on joining, would fish a different participating fishery each month, having the weight of their catch recorded each time. These weights would be collated and a League table formed from them. After a period of 3 months the league table would be split in to two or 3 divisions, thus allowing anglers of similar ability to compete against each other (similar to football league divisions).

In answer to specific questions :-

Dave

A League for beginners / youngsters.

I agree with you whole heartedly Dave, kids are the life blood of our great sport and we need to encourage them as much as possible
I initially thought about having a separate league for this category, but given the wide spread geography that the fisheries are located in, it would be difficult for youngsters to travel to visit a different fishery each month. Out of 5 kids from my own club, only two of them have parents that actually fish. The other kids have to rely on parents being available and willing to act as taxi drivers.

As for the beginners, again we need to encourage them and help them grow in confidence and that is the idea behind the League spilt that is proposed. There will no doubt be a handful of angler who will constantly be in the top section of the league, thus possibly discouraging those anglers of lesser ability, but by splitting the league in to division we have a more balanced grouping, therefore allowing anglers to compete against other anglers of similar ability. This would of course depend on the total numbers of anglers taking up the offer of the League.

Profit made from the League

There will be two sources of direct income, a registration fee from fisheries and a membership fee from the anglers.

The fisheries registration fee will go some way towards setup costs i.e. purchase of domain name, email account, P.O. Box, promotion and printing costs etc. I am trying to insure that 100% of the angler’s fees go towards prizes, whoever given the setup/ admin costs this may be dropped to a guaranteed minimum 90%. I am currently speaking to printers with a view to some form of sponsorship from them thus, saving on some costs and therefore increasing the amount of the angler’s fee being spent on prizes. I am also in on-going discussions with manufacturers and tackle dealers with a view to sponsorship of prizes.

As for prizes for the anglers, there is no reason why equipment suitable for different abilities can not be made available.

Previous North East Group

I an in no way connected to the previous venture and in fact I was not aware that there had been such a group until I read it in your post. Do you have any information regarding them ??

Mike

Your sources are indeed correct, I have a an association with Raemoir in that I am the webmaster for their website and also the secretary of the attached fishing club, HOWEVER the league is being run independently with no ties to any one individual fishery. Raemoir have signed up to the same rules as the other fisheries and have paid the same fee and WILL NOT BE GIVEN ANY SPEACIAL TREATMENT.

Lyall

Registration Fee

The £15 fee from anglers will be used for the purchase of prizes etc for the winners of the league (divisions). At the moment the aim is for 100% of this fee to be used for prizes however, it is possible that this may be reduced to a minimum of 90% depending on the outcome of talks with printers regarding cost for flyers, membership forms cards etc, BUT I can guarantee that it will not be less than 90%.

As regards information on the website, this is an on-going project and as question are asked these will be reflected on the site.

To sum things up, what I am trying to do is to promote the great sport that we all enjoy, by encouraging friendly competition between all anglers in the Grampian area with ability being no barrier.

Hopefully this answers a few of the question already being asked and look forward to hearing everyone’s views.

Regards
Alan
admin@grampianleague.co.uk
www.grampianleague.co.uk

( Reply by "Andrew Bebbington" )
Hi all

We had a visit from Alan this week and a good chat about the League.

The idea in our opinion seems good.

As anglers what we like about the idea is that anglers can fish any 6 fisheries out of the ones that are taking place and that i would not be told were i had to fish then if i did not want to fish a certain fishery i do not have to. (not that there anywhere i would not fish)
All (or most) of the £15 membership fee will go on prizes.
It will also give me an reason to fish other places i have never got round to.

As a Fishery what we liked about the league is that for the small joining fee we will have a add on the leauge website and in the leaflets,
It will encourage people to fish at other locations. although Joe Bloggs who may normally only fishes at one fishery may not fish there as oftern as he will be fishing once a month at one of the other fisheries, it might sound like you will lose his buisness once maybe twice a month, you will however gain much more buisness from the rest of the joe bloggs who only fish one place coming to your fishery so they can enter the league.
Then if a angler likes your place they will come back !

Also what we liked is that the leauge rules is basically that you have to obay the rules of the fishery and nothing else, the anglers weigh in there 3 fish they catch in frount of a member of staff and thats about it.

As for any extra work load there is minimal all you have to do is right down the weight of the fish that the angler has caught on the paperwork provided and put it a prepaid enverlope at the end of each month and post - easy! we right down returns anyway for our own records.

so all in all we think its a good idea and will be joining the leauge as a fishery

Andrew Bebbington
pitfour fishery

( Reply by "Sightbob" )
hi all
my concern as a fishery manager is that the anglers will go to the fisheries where basically they can do what they want and practice selective fishing, catch 3 large fish put all the smaller fish back and ignore the fisheries that have the basic rule in fishing you keep the fish up to your bag limit then pratice catch and release, i have never came across selective fishing until i moved to the north east and dont know of any fisheries outwith the area where you can do this, i may be wrong and maybe someone can put me right, anyway rant over i may still join and benefit from the publicity for a small fee.
i would like to hear other peoples views on this
cheers
brian

( Reply by "Alan" )
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anglers will go to the fisheries where basically they can do what they want and practice selective fishing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian,

I agree on what you are saying, there are always going to be a few guys that will do what ever it takes to insure they have a "Healthy" bag. It is for that reason that one of the rules states that any fish caught over 5lb will be attract a maximum weight of 5lb. So there is no real benefit in landing fish heavier than this.

Also there is actually a higher proportion of fisheries in the area that stipulate “first 3” rather than “selective” so again this should minimise the opportunity for cheating to take place, providing Fisheries enforce their own rules.

I hope this helps to change your mind on why you want to participate in the league.

Cheers
Alan

( Reply by "Fishingthefly" )
Yes, tricky one Brian  

This will be the first time Haddo takes part in a competition based on weight, something that I am very much against  

All my competitions have been based on numbers of fish caught and weight plays no part. It is interesting to note that I have always left the competitions open to bag limit permits or catch & release ( as this makes no difference to the score ) and anglers always choose to enter with C&R. This works well at Haddo as I am able to keep the count ..... but I realise that it would be difficult at the larger venues.

My thoughts on your point are ........ IMHO it would make sense for Alan to make it 1st three fish for your bag limit at all the participating fisheries in the rules for Grampian League entries. I am sure that all fishery managers would be happy to go along with this.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

( Reply by "Alan" )
Afternoon guys

I think making a rule of “First 3 fish” would create more problems and not actually solve any.

As Brian says -

Quote:
anglers will go to the fisheries where basically they can do what they want and practice selective fishing

And as Mike stated –

Quote:
but I realise that it would be difficult (to count) at the larger venues

Trying to police something like this would be fraught with problems not to mention starting to get in to the realms of imposing “Rules” on fisheries, which I do not want to do, nor I suspect would the fisheries want to see!

Regards
Alan

( Reply by "Alan" )
Just a quick update on the league situation.

Had a few forms back from some more fisheries, taking the total of Participating Fisheries to 8 with another 3 expected soon.

I am still waiting on one of the Local Rod Manufacturers getting back to me and have started making enquiries with another one. Also spoken to a few of the tackle dealers with regard to sponsoring and have had positive replies and offers.

Application forms for anglers are on hold at the moment until some of the deals with sponsors are sorted out.

On the whole things are looking good but a little slower than I would like.

I will of course keep everyone up-to-date as things progress.

Cheers
Alan
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum