Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

A challenge for you all....
« on: 23/06/2008 at 15:26 »
...anyone up for an evening fly fishing for something a bit unusual? The Ide up at Aboyne are feeding well at the moment and they can be easily tempted on the fly. You will see them sipping drys and nymphs, plus they will take small lures.

I have found out there is the potential to break a couple of records for them...the scottish record for normal methods is 7lb something..and myself and a chap from Dundee have had bigger from aboyne..so thats one record that could be claimed, but there is no record yet for a fly caught one!!!

A 3-5 weight is ideal with small 20-14 sized flies. As I say, they love wee black flies off the top, or something big and bushy like a moth/soldier palmer. Lure wise they will hit Silver and Gold Whickams, Pennels, Zulus etc. On a fly rod they put a healthy bend in it and can go airborne...all good fun!!

I could book the 3 boats and float tubing has been allowed in the past..i could double check...

Anyone up for an assult on the record books and something a bit different?

nosrac

Re: A challenge for you all....
« Reply #1 on: 23/06/2008 at 16:17 »
Hi
Sorry to sound silly but what is an ide!

clark

« Reply #2 on: 23/06/2008 at 16:29 »
i have to say it as well but what is an ide ??????

clark

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 23/06/2008 at 17:12 »
Whats an Ide well here you go http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~earaj/shoal/o.html
tells you all about it and others.

Dave

nosrac

« Reply #4 on: 23/06/2008 at 17:22 »
Thanks
I would be interested when are you thinking of going up?
I live in Maryculter if anyone needs a lift.
Never even heard of these fish let alone fish for them would be well up for it if i can get pass from missus :z4

Cheers
Carson

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 23/06/2008 at 17:44 »
Sounds like an alternative idea Rob  :z16 As it's on my doorstep it would be churlish of me not to go - provided I'm off work  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 23/06/2008 at 18:37 »
Great idea Rob :z16

Cheers
Mike

Dave Gordon

« Reply #7 on: 23/06/2008 at 19:45 »
If Hamish is off, i am off, but next week please, wife away and I am herding kids!

Graham Allan

« Reply #8 on: 23/06/2008 at 20:06 »
Hi Rob .Sounds diferent right enough. :z1..Ill probably be off for another week  and fancy the change .When do you plan to go?Is it the lough in aboyne ..cheers Graham

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 23/06/2008 at 21:30 »
Hi guys..sorry, I should have said what an Ide was ..d'oh! As someone has posted before about what it is, I will add a little more. They are a bonny looking thing, muscular (hold them upside down and they normally go quiet), and on the right gear, fight hard. I would say they where the closest you will get to the feeding habits of a trout. They tend to be mid to high in the water and relish surface flies. Being a shoal fish, its possible to get several in quick succession before the shoal moves on.

Here is Iain with a typical fish of about 2 and a half pounds..you have to remember Iain is around 14 feet tall  :wink and can wade across the mouth of the Don without wetting his knees!!

As for timings..evenings are normally best for them, so I would suggest meeting at the loch at say 6 or 7 during the week.. I don't mind a weekend either, but the speed boat is on the water and it makes fishing from a boat impossible and damn right dangerous!! Thursday nights are also water ski night.

Provisionally I would suggest next Monday night?????

Rob

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 23/06/2008 at 21:42 »
Forgot to say..strickly catch and release, £6 a ticket for the day, I am sure I can get a cheaper ticket for an evening..Boats are a tenner for a full day.

Oh, and in the Netherlands Ide and Bream are a very popular quarry on the fly due to the lack of Trout rivers...some info on the web about fly fishing for them :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #11 on: 23/06/2008 at 21:55 »
I might be up for this also if im not working (Under the Hammer), Im sure Iain in that photo comes in every so often, I never forget a face  :D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 24/06/2008 at 00:11 »
Iain is the bass player in aka-ska...and what a jolly jape the band is! Well worth going along to see if you are into 2-tone/ska :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 24/06/2008 at 00:42 »
Iain is the bass player in aka-ska...and what a jolly jape the band is! Well worth going along to see if you are into 2-tone/ska :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #14 on: 24/06/2008 at 09:56 »

yup definitely comes in the hammer, I'm gonna chaff him if he is in tonight!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com