Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Bloke Fly Reels advice/?
« on: 19/06/2008 at 22:20 »
hi all

managed to buy a Bloke 4 wt fly reel from eBay. It's right hand wind, and want to change it to left hand. Came with no instructions; don't want to tear it apart, it's not obvious  to an idiot like me how to alter it.

it's the same reel as this:
http://www.flyfishingmasters.se/index.php?sid=d8c72515ecd1f6d44c5d3983e4679ead&&cl=details&cnid=627449be77988f5a9.96372049&anid=627449be7b61bcc55.15741673&tpl=&lang=1&listtype=list

so.... anyone out there got instructions or ideas on how to do the alteration?
{i've e-mailed Mick Bell at bloke rods, but no answer}

randomly, i'll be in slovenia next week, hope to find a tackle shop in ljubljana and hunt down some interesting flies. anyone needing anything specific??? (i think the Soca river has appeared occasionally in FFFT)

cheerio!

Hamish Young

Re: Bloke Fly Reels advice/?
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2008 at 22:35 »
Can you post up a piccie of the 'gubbins'  :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2008 at 23:11 »
£53 in Sweden..know for expensive gear..£110 in UK??..ouch!

Iain, I think I am right in saying it has a one way bearing..should be housed in a white plastic bearing race...slide it off the shaft, turn it over, and slide it back on..sorted. Might be held on with a circlip..not sure.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 20/06/2008 at 08:14 »
£53 in Sweden..know for expensive gear..£110 in UK??..ouch!

Iain, I think I am right in saying it has a one way bearing..should be housed in a white plastic bearing race...slide it off the shaft, turn it over, and slide it back on..sorted. Might be held on with a circlip..not sure.

hi rob, hamish

thanks for the replies -- yes, rob, looks like the circlip is to be removed. that's what i thought -- just wanted a bit of advice before dismantling. hamish, i should have posted a pic. digi camera cable is not at home though! now to find circlip pliers...

on the pricing... well, i've seen the same reel cropping up with differnt names engraved on it. perhaps there are internal differences that justify the price differentials. either way, i picked it up for a snip from eBay (while looking for something else, of course) with a new airflo line fitted, so i'm not unhappy.

cheers
iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 20/06/2008 at 08:14 »
randomly, i'll be in slovenia next week, hope to find a tackle shop in ljubljana and hunt down some interesting flies. anyone needing anything specific??? (i think the Soca river has appeared occasionally in FFFT)
ljubljana is a great city i spent a few very happy weekends there a few years back. If your there on a sunday morning make sure to check out the open air markets very cool. Are you fishing? Unfortunately i was going through my not fishing phase when i was there.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 20/06/2008 at 13:16 »

Iain, I think I am right in saying it has a one way bearing.. ...slide it off the shaft, turn it over, and slide it back on..sorted. Might be held on with a circlip..not sure.

success. exactly as rob supposed. Well, not exactly that simple...

took two grown men, 3 screwdrivers, assorted pairs of pliers, one very wicked pointy looking dentist-type tool and an elastoplast just to remove the circlip. elastoplast to repair the inevitable flesh wound caused by forcing apart small oiled components with sharp tools. Getting the clip back on was equally tricky. predictably, it pinged off, so we had a bit of a search on the dusty workshop floor.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 20/06/2008 at 13:23 »
ljubljana is a great city i spent a few very happy weekends there a few years back. If your there on a sunday morning make sure to check out the open air markets very cool. Are you fishing? Unfortunately i was going through my not fishing phase when i was there.

no fishing this trip, just a couple of days to visit a pal. was there about 8 years ago, lovely town. but I am driving from/to italy, so might do a detour to have a look at the Soca river.

cheers

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 20/06/2008 at 14:45 »
Iain....by using the right tools for the job you would have eliminated any swearing or wounds! A 10 pound lump hammer takes no prisoners! ;)

Glad you got it sorted!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com