Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

New Rod Broke yesterday
« on: 19/06/2008 at 11:17 »
Well its not quite as dramatic as the title, but was out having a few casts with Hamish yesterday when i noticed the below.

well the Greys rods are all covered with a life time guarantee so I talked to them and just need to send it back to them. Well its a 3 piece rod so I only have to send 1 piece back, see how i had to send the 1 piece back to them (instructed by greys)

was so hard to do that!!!

Hamish Young

Re: New Rod Broke yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 19/06/2008 at 12:59 »
Aye, had to be more than a wee bit irritating :z10 Seems such a waste to have to take the measures Greys have insisted on  :shock

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #2 on: 19/06/2008 at 14:06 »
yea i know, in the post today so hopefully dont have to wait AGES for the replacement piece.

I did a pretty good job tho haha, tried to do it over my knee first, these rods are SUPER STRONG haha so out came the hacksaw.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 19/06/2008 at 17:02 »
That'll teach you to try casting a Hamish :z7
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2008 at 19:16 »
Wow :! that does seem a bit drastic don't it.

Dave

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2008 at 22:14 »
That'll teach you to try casting a Hamish :z7
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

sandy, you beat me to that quip... the rod would sure be in more than 4 pieces if he'd really cast a hamish...

i mashed a greys' rod joint in a car door, and had to saw it into wee bits to send it back. got a replacement really quickly, no fuss. good on them, just seemed a terrible shame to saw a rod into pieces.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #6 on: 19/06/2008 at 22:35 »
Get an angel, you will get quite used to sawing them up and posting them back!

As I has said before as long as you dont use them when it is too hot, or sunny they are ok.
Or too wet, they often break when raining. And they get brittle in the cold, never use them in the cold.

Dont cast into the wind, as this stresses them too much. . And never cast on still days, i have broken mine on a number of times when calm. Make sure it is not too dry, as they dont like this, but fog is a real killer, damp days are not ideal.

Ideally do not use them in winter, and avoid feb until november. I have only broken angels, (and gems, sirrus, and a couple of greys)

other than this i have found them excellent.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 19/06/2008 at 23:02 »
Now now Dave, you will have the Hardy police onto you!!!  :z7

Personnaly, I take no notice of the Greys/Hardy warrenty because I have had to use it twice..and both times they refused to help..well..under warrenty that is...read the small print

"applies only to all new and current Hardy & Greys Limited carbon fibre rods purchased from an authorised Greys dealer effective January 2002."

One rod (Iain was using one the other night) had a faulty reel seat, but the range had been changed since I bought it..and so it was no longer a "current model". Called the same, same blank, same rings, different reel seat.. :mad :mad

Second was a Prodigy Jerkbait rod..sold for two years..i bought mine in a sale (end of range) from a local authorised dealer..£65 instead of £85, second trip, broke, would not replace as it was no longer in the catalogue. Wanted £85 plus postage for a new butt. Why did the dealer stamp the warrenty card etc if the warrenty was not valid :(

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 19/06/2008 at 23:05 »
Was it only the cork comming apart, of had it broken under the handle?

If it was the cork I would have been tempted to inject warm Pro-Bond or Araldite between the rings using a syringe. That would have sorted it in minutes :)..No painful breaking of the rod or £35 handling charge.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 20/06/2008 at 05:43 »
It was indeed the cork simply coming off the 'tape' :z10 Pretty poor show really  :roll

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #10 on: 20/06/2008 at 09:15 »
Was it only the cork comming apart, of had it broken under the handle?

If it was the cork I would have been tempted to inject warm Pro-Bond or Araldite between the rings using a syringe. That would have sorted it in minutes :)..No painful breaking of the rod or £35 handling charge.

as Hamish said it was the cork coming apart, talked to one of the Greys staff and I didnt need to pay the £25 handling fee as it was brand new.

When on the phone to greys there is a section in the automated bit for Greys rods before 2002 to talk to a person, so maybe this is how you sort out those older rods under warrent?

I had thought about trying to bond / glue it but since it was so new decided to send it back, only cost £2 recorded delivery so thats ok. Still bit miffed tho as I would have been out next week, fingers crossed it comes back quickly. Haddo hear I come haha.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 20/06/2008 at 09:56 »
It was indeed the cork simply coming off the 'tape' :z10 Pretty poor show really  :roll

But not unusual unfortuantly.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #12 on: 20/06/2008 at 10:00 »
But not unusual unfortuantly.

well hopefully it doesnt happen again, or i'll be on the phone to Greys kicking up a fuss!!! And insisting on a top of their range replacement to compensate my loss of fishing time lol i wish

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 20/06/2008 at 11:02 »
I would be knocking on there door and placing the damaged butt into the Quality Assurance Managers Butt!..lol

Infuriates me to tell the truth..I have around 5 of the "original" greys rods from years ago, long before Hardy took them over...not a single issue!..3 of the "new" range..and 2 went wrong..and i dont think the quality of the blanks is anywhere near as good. Iain commented on the weight of one of them...its 3 times the weight of an older rood of similar specs.

Anyway...the joys of progress....

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #14 on: 20/06/2008 at 11:15 »
yea i know what you mean, I decided to replace my 10 year + Daiwa rod for something a bit better, well ive never had a problem with the daiwa and low and behold the Greys breaks in 2 trips oh well.

Fancy a Barrio now haha but will need to get a job first

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com