Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

PFFA 9 weight
« on: 18/06/2008 at 08:10 »
This is the latest rod i have built for the PFFA Chairman down south...burgandy 9 weight blank and finished in Garnet as requested. The whipping looks very red in the photos but when seen in the flesh blends in nicely to the blank as can bee seen in the last pic. 3 more on the way, one a "stealth" version, the other two standard builds. Also doing an 8 weight "Bass" rod for a chap in Englandshire. That one should be interesting....stunning blue blank, looks gorgeous!

Sandy Nelson

Re: PFFA 9 weight
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2008 at 18:24 »
Nice finish Rob :z16

What epoxy are you using?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2008 at 20:36 »
Aye aye Sandy,
On the Pike fly rods I am using standard Flexcote. I was considering Flexcote lite but by using plenty of colour preserver to seal the thread first I am finding the standard stuff can be applied thinly and neatly. I had some left from a set of carp rods i have just rebuilt for someone so I thought i would give it a go.

I have been considering switching to the Threadmaster stuff, gets great reports from the states...but it s bit of a "if it ain't broke" syndrome.

What about yourself?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2008 at 22:26 »
Hi Rob

I use two thin coats of Flexcoat lite, does the job for me :z16
I've read lots of really good things about the threadmaster lite too, hence the question
I wondered if you had been using it and whether it was worth playing with.
Struggling to source it this side of the pond though, and i've encountered probs trying to import fluids before, so its a bit down on my list of things to do :z6
Still might be interesting to look at sometime :wink

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2008 at 22:38 »
Sandy,
you can get in scotland..here you go http://www.solwaycustomcomponents.com/Thread_Coating.html Around £14 so a bit more but i like the fact it has a pot life of 25mins plus

Hope this helps...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 18/06/2008 at 22:47 »
 :z18

Could be worth a try

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 18/06/2008 at 22:57 »
There seems to be approx 4 times as much, so might be very good value for money, if a little messier.
will try some to see if its any good.
I'll let you know how i get on.
I have some prototypes i can play about with :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com