Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

One fly or two?
« on: 10/11/2006 at 17:10 »
Hi folks

Which do you feel is more productive with stillwater trout ....... fishing a single fly, or fishing with two flies using a dropper?

Does it depend on the type of fly that you are using?  :roll:

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Jim Eddie

1 or 2 flees
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2006 at 19:05 »
I'm undecided, I usally fish with 2 , unless its a bit windy when I revert to 1. Cant say that i've noticed much difference.

:z18

Jim

gunner100

One fly or two?
« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2006 at 19:39 »
Hi again all,

Have been haveing a rest ( holiday ) for a while. Where allowed I prefer a three fly cast. The length of the cast will vary from 16 feet to 9 feet. fish are taken on the point, middle dropper and top dropper. With three flies I believe that you are able to fish several depths at one time, thereby exploring the water. Once you are hooking fish, as opposed to getting only pulls, you have cracked it, you have found the depth where the fish are. I accept that a three fly cast is not for everone, but it works for me. Sometimes, I will even work up to a Clyde cast of five flies but the wind has to be only a puff....

Lyall

Hamish Young

Jings I dinna ken
« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2006 at 16:11 »
Horses for courses Mike - generally I fish 2 if nymphing/luring and maybe 2 but more likely 1 when fishing dry fly  :wink:
On wild lochs then I'm up to 3 unless I switch to the dry fly  :z3  I have fished 4 on the Clyde in the past - but not something I'd do every day.

Sandy Nelson

One fly or two?
« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2006 at 16:20 »
I've had a habit of using two flies everywhere for a long time now, three and i just get end up in tangles (but thats more to do with the way i cast :z4 )
I'll use 1 when dryfly or stalking.
Recently i've tried to use 1 more often and it is just as effective, although i still suffer the nagging doubt that i could be covering more fish with two.
Funny how even when you know something is not entirely true , you just cant help believin :lol:
Could be the season of course

Sandy

loveys

One fly or two?
« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2006 at 19:01 »
There are definately occasions when more than 1 fly will beat a single fly. In streams I nearly always fish a dry with a weighted nymph 'New Zealand style' ie tied on 18" of nylon to the bend of the dryfly.  I reckon the split is about 50:50 as to which is taken.

On a stillwater if the water is not terribly clear I find it helps to have an attractor (something ugly like an orange blob) and a more realistic fly the fish will actually take ( like a buzzer).  Recently I caught on a a bare size 10 hook that I moved around behind a blob.  I am not sure either would have caught on their own.

Chris L

Mike Barrio

One fly or two?
« Reply #6 on: 14/11/2006 at 19:12 »
Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum  :cool:

Aha ........ another bare hook fisher, you are going to get on just great with Sandy ( of the red hook ) and Hamish ( of the blue hook ), both catch lots of fish on these at Haddo.

Best wishes
Mike

loveys

One fly or two?
« Reply #7 on: 14/11/2006 at 19:20 »
Mike

..and there was me thinking I was leading edge experimental!  Actually I have found that the best hooks to use 'bare' are not the usual fly-tying hooks but heavy carp hooks. They break through the surface film nicely (and they are black).

Chris

Mike Barrio

One fly or two?
« Reply #8 on: 14/11/2006 at 19:34 »
So you are fishing a "black" buzzer then Chris  :wink:

We often simply add a gold or tungstone bead to a bare hook ....... and this works well.

Sandy introduced me to this style of flies and they don't half catch fish. I think you'll find they work even better without an "attractor"

Best wishes
Mike

wildfisher

One fly or two?
« Reply #9 on: 15/11/2006 at 14:03 »
Normally I use a cast of 3 flies unless conditions are "difficult"  or the rules prevent it. Can't make any hard and fast rules – it all depends on where I am, conditions and what I am doing.  Some say it makes no difference, on that I cannot comment as I have never really conducted experiments under controlled conditions.  I am not even sure how practical it would be to do it. Such claims are usually anecdotal, based  on hunches. Only thing that makes sense to me is the confidence issue. Use whatever you feel best using and gives you confidence.

Sandy Nelson

One fly or two?
« Reply #10 on: 15/11/2006 at 20:40 »
Bareback Rules!!!!!!

:z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com