Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Mackerel
« on: 26/05/2008 at 21:28 »
Anyone know when to expect these beauties to make an appearance around Aberdeen/Stonehaven? Any good spots to catch them at would also be most appreciated.
Noel.

Jim Eddie

Re: Mackerel
« Reply #1 on: 26/05/2008 at 21:37 »
Noel

They should start to appear anytime soon, not sure about Aberdeen , but you get plenty off the Breakwater at Peterhead , thats if you can get them in before the seals get them  :z6

:z18

Jim

Jay Scott

« Reply #2 on: 26/05/2008 at 22:15 »

Heard they've started coming into Peterhead. Anyone fly fished for them?

Jay

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 26/05/2008 at 22:23 »
At Peterhead no, but I have fly fished for them elsewhere..... go like buggery on a fly rod  :grin :z16

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 26/05/2008 at 22:46 »
Have fished for them for several years on the fly off Pennan & Troup Head.

go like buggery on a fly rod  :grin :z16

Hi Hamish - that is an understatemant, never see anything go like it.

Alex

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 27/05/2008 at 08:32 »
Noel

They should start to appear anytime soon, not sure about Aberdeen , but you get plenty off the Breakwater at Peterhead , thats if you can get them in before the seals get them  :z6

Jim

Does it get crowded? Used fish at some hotspots at home for them and things used get quiet heated at times :shock

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 28/05/2008 at 11:03 »
Not really Noel , the break water is about half a mile long , you can drive your car out. Its not much good for fly rodding though. There are some places you can fly fish from the rocks at Boddam (just outside Peterhead) chance of a Bass to.

Cheers

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 28/05/2008 at 12:40 »
Cheers Jim it sounds the business. I will be digging the beachcaster out for this trip, bbq season is here :z18 Will def try Boddam later in the year or once the freezer is no longer bare :z15
Gonna have a go fri evening as tides are about right for an after work session.
Noel.

Orkneytroot

« Reply #8 on: 28/05/2008 at 12:58 »
Hi Noel,

My flatmate went up to the breakwater on Sunday with the spinning rods, but they didn't manage to get any. They said they were losing them to the seals... :roll I was dubious of their reports, but maybe they really were losing them to seals. I could maybe imagine him catching a mackerel but not much else.  :z8  :z4

I tried a few casts with the flies off the rocks to the left of the light house (pretty sure it was Boddam), but there was nothing happening (on the spinners either).
If I gave you a few flies you're bound to catch something big! :z4
Fantastic fish supper from the chipper just up from it though!

Steve

salar35

« Reply #9 on: 11/06/2008 at 13:45 »
Our Stoney angling club boat trip had some mackerel off Stonehaven on Sunday 7th June to feathers and prawn (ASDA's best), along with cod , coalies and a ling. Stocks will be beuiolding up steadily and there were signs of some big inshore sandeel shoals (for a pleasant change).

I'd love to catch mackerel on a fly rod but have never found 'em near enough the surface, even for an ultra-fast sinking line. And has anyone else found that an 8oz lead does serious damage to the tip of a nine foot nine wt ?!? Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 11/06/2008 at 13:53 »
......and has anyone else found that an 8oz lead does serious damage to the tip of a nine foot nine wt ?!? Dave

:z4 :z4 :z4

A lead-core type line worked well for me the last time I gave it a go  :wink Just make sure there's nothing bright other than the 'fly' or the Mackerel will try and attack your line and not the 'fly' :shock

snakefly

« Reply #11 on: 11/06/2008 at 17:37 »
I know in Fraserburgh a couple of freinds have had mackerel the past two nights at the scorggie ( brodsea shore ) on a fly rod. Rainbow warrior proving the best fly iv heard.

mac_the_dog

« Reply #12 on: 11/06/2008 at 20:01 »
If you are going to fish at Boddam for mackerel or bass try the outlet for the Power Station. Park your car at the fish factory at the harbour and walk toward Peterhead, you cant miss it. You will catch Mackerel and Bass but have never tried it on the fly.

Kevin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 26/06/2008 at 22:03 »
Mackerel are here in big numbers , guy at work had over 100 the other night  :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15

Jim

Dave B

« Reply #14 on: 26/06/2008 at 22:36 »
Sorry its a late reply to this, but I went to Peterhead breakwater last Sunday and had 31 fantastic Mackerel (in the freezer now). All on Mackerel feathers, (in an hour and a half) the fish were in massive shoals right up against the wall, a sight to be seen! Never seen so many, great sport all on a light weight spinning rod with a two ounce weight on the end. My arms were knackered at the end!

Have just tied some flies to try at Bodam next week, I have been told you can fly fish for them at Fraserburgh, but I dont know the area well enough to tell you where.

Dave B.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com