Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

chrisfisher

River Don - responsibility
« on: 22/05/2008 at 10:43 »
Hi all,

Yesterday i witnessed two "gents" fishing ledgered worms on the beat of the Don i fish.  One was using two rods.  In terms of legality where do they stand?

They certainly used to be able to purchase trout day tickets from the farmer.  Their tackle was also rather robust, i would estimate from my veiw on the opposite bank that they were using in the region of 20lb reel line going by the thickness of the stuff, which would suggest to me they were aiming to connect with something rather larger than a trout.

Does the farmer in question have a responsibilty to ensure anyone who buys tickets is fishing legal methods?

C

Hamish Young

Re: River Don - responsibility
« Reply #1 on: 22/05/2008 at 11:17 »
Without wishing to sound like a scratched record on this subject:

Report such sightings to the River Don Bailiffs immediately :z17 That is what they are there for :! If anyone has concerns about poaching of fishing illegally do something about when the event happens, not the next day on a forum :roll

Whilst an answer may be forthcoming forum members can really only give a speculative answer, you may have witnessed such proceedings but we did not. Next time, if there is a next time, the bailiffs are the people to go to :z17

If you don't have their numbers send me a PM or email and I will quite happily forward their details to you  :cool:

Your supposition that the person who let the fishing has an obligation to ensure people should use legal methods (as agreed by the Proprietors) is, in part, correct. If they had a printed ticket (which they may or may not have had) then the rules regarding the fishing should be on that ticket.
If not they can, legitimately if frustratingly, plead ignorance.
To an extent, therefore, the onus is on the person letting the fishing to make their ticket/permit holders aware of the rules and regualtions.

I hope that's helpful.

chrisfisher

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2008 at 11:24 »
I would have reported them at the time but didn't have contact details (PM sent Hamish) but in future i will be able to.

Thanks for the response

Chris

puddock

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2008 at 21:41 »
I think we ALL have a responsibility to be reporting abuse of the River(s) to the relevant authorities. We'll be the first to moan when things deteriorate, yet we seem quite happy to turn a blind eye.
If you rented a hotel room, would you be happy to come back to your room and find someone laying on your bed, flicking through your TV channels and drinking your mini bar dry?

gunner100

« Reply #4 on: 23/05/2008 at 12:46 »
" If you rented a hotel room, would you be happy to come back to your room and find someone laying on your bed, flicking through your TV channels and drinking your mini bar dry? "

Depends on who she was!!

Lyall

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com