Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Irish trip
« on: 21/05/2008 at 21:51 »
Set off from Aberdeen last thursday for a few days fishing at home. Steve was my wingman and being an experienced float tuber i saw it as an oppertunity to get my waterwings.
First attempt was not such a great success maybe contributed to by the late night, red wine and whiskey :z18

Once i got afloat i was actually more excited by crusing around the lough than fishing but i eventually managed this fella

No beauty but my first fish in my new tube so happy days :grin

That evening we headed north to join up with a group from the "fly fishing forum" for two days on the mighty Lough Corrib.
We were based in Greenfields and its a great spot frequented by trout bums of many nationalities and ranging in age from nine to ninety, at least for the mayfly madness

The mayfly were up alright but not yet in huge numbers. We all managed fish and i was lucky enough to connect with this fella

Weighed at 4.25lbs and thats probably a new pb wild trout for me  :z18
Heres a few more pics and im sure steve will add a few more of his crackers and maybe the late night tubing lessons :z4

Noel.

Hamish Young

Re: Irish trip
« Reply #1 on: 21/05/2008 at 23:07 »
Cool Noel  :z16

I hope to be on Corrib myself in July ~ not an ideal time maybe, but c'est la vie :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 22/05/2008 at 09:07 »
Nice one Noel, looks like you had a grand time.

:z18

Jim

Orkneytroot

« Reply #3 on: 22/05/2008 at 12:39 »
Yes it was a very good trip indeed!
Made especially so by the brilliant people we met over there!
Here are a few more pics!
My first Irish troot

The stars of the show

A spot of lunch

I should be working for Shakespeare! This guy got one of these on Monday after Noel and I bragged them up!

This float tubbing is thirsty work!  :z18

A bit of dapping

A fine Corrib brownie

and another one

Now if only a few more of these had been about, who knows what might have been!

The icing on the cake!  :z12

Thanks again Noel for persuading me to come on this excellent trip!

Steve

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 22/05/2008 at 13:21 »
Cool Noel  :z16

I hope to be on Corrib myself in July ~ not an ideal time maybe, but c'est la vie :cool:
Ferox  :z7 Are you hiring a boatman? highly recommended, Corrib is MASSIVE and dangerous. Lifejackets are compulsory btw.

« Reply #5 on: 22/05/2008 at 13:51 »
 Was over in Corrib last week also. It was hot hot hot for most of the week, with probably the best conditions, ie over-cast only coming at the weekend, but it seemed kind of thundery and the fish weren't really in the mood on the Saturday. We returned around 57 trout between myself and Richard, with the best two going 6 1/4lb and 6lb, with a couple over 5lb and a dozen over 4lb. Almost everything else was mostly in the 2lb to 3lb range. All fish were weighed. Mainly on buzzer, although crunchers were working when the olives were around, and shrimp patterns fished deep also scored.

Glad you guys had a great time; Gavan is a really good friend of mine and did well organising that trip. We were fishing a few miles up the lake so unfortunately couldn't get back to join you, but it sounds like everyone really enjoyed it.

The buzzer hatches midweek were the biggest I have ever seen. There were absolutely billions of them, not just like smoke, but black clouds. Amazing stuff.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 22/05/2008 at 16:09 »
Thats some catching londonscottish :shock Had heard there were great catches earlier in the week but you always do so had taken it with a pinch of salt. Any pics for us to drool over?
We had it tough enough saturday and sunday and a lot of the fish were very small, especially on the sunday.
Gavin is an excellent guy and like you say great credit is due to him for the way he organised the weekend. If anyone is looking for a boatman on Corrib or any advice or tips then Gavin is your man.
Heres his website www.loughcorribangling.com
Noel.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 22/05/2008 at 18:19 »
Noel/Steve

Some fantastic photos, love the fish and flies.
Looks like a whole lot of fun :z18, dead jealous

See you when you get back :z16

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 22/05/2008 at 18:50 »
Ferox  :z7 Are you hiring a boatman? highly recommended, Corrib is MASSIVE and dangerous. Lifejackets are compulsory btw.

Ferox - maybe.... maybe  :wink

Boatman - yarp, makes sense to me :cool:

Lifejacket - yes, good move on their part.

« Reply #9 on: 23/05/2008 at 12:02 »
Ferox - maybe.... maybe  :wink

Unfortunately there's very few Ferox left in Corrib with so many having been targeted with fish finders and spinning gear, just to be mounted in glass cases. Very sad.

The idea of fish conservation is very limited to a great number of locals over there.

One day a couple of weeks ago one angler killed 9 trout between 3 and 6 lb. Just butchery. There's plenty fish in the pound class that make far better eating, so what's the point in knocking the big ones.

« Reply #10 on: 23/05/2008 at 12:05 »
Thats some catching londonscottish :shock Had heard there were great catches earlier in the week but you always do so had taken it with a pinch of salt. Any pics for us to drool over?
We had it tough enough saturday and sunday and a lot of the fish were very small, especially on the sunday.
Gavin is an excellent guy and like you say great credit is due to him for the way he organised the weekend. If anyone is looking for a boatman on Corrib or any advice or tips then Gavin is your man.
Heres his website www.loughcorribangling.com
Noel.

I'd certainly recommend Gavan to anyone visiting Corrib who needs a really good boatman/partner. One of the best guides on the Lough. His website is great too.

Will try to get some pictures up soon.

« Reply #11 on: 23/05/2008 at 15:58 »

I've just put these briefly on youtube. Just got the camera, so I don't know how to edit it properly yet so please excuse the crap bits. Hopefully get it fixed over the weekend.

These are the biggest two from last week: 6lb and 6 1/4 lb taken on Sunday and Saturday. Both swam of well after some careful reviving, as both took over 15 minutes to land.

The top one is a smaller fish being played on a black buzzer on the middle dropper/

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 23/05/2008 at 21:53 »
 COOL! --------------------------- :z2
Thanks for the great photos and stuff guys .........  :z16

Noel, Great to see you spreading the word and helping somebody out with their "maiden voyage" :cool:

Love the photo of the Guiness :z7

Thanks again
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 24/05/2008 at 06:14 »
Brilliant stuff david

What type of camera is it? Is it a proper video camera or a digi stills one like the olympus sw?

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: 24/05/2008 at 15:03 »
Brilliant stuff david

What type of camera is it? Is it a proper video camera or a digi stills one like the olympus sw?

Sandy

Hi Sandy, how's it going?

Its just an Olympus digital. I got it at the airport on the way out to Corrib; I wish I'd bought a waterproof last year (as my mates advised) as I fell in between skiffs bonefishing and wrecked my previous one. School boy error.

Anyway its 10.1 mega pixels, waterproof to 10 metres and you can drop a 100 kg weight on it and its shock proof to 1.5 metres , although the last two I hopefully won't be putting into practice. This one was £230 (i think), but there was another for about £150 odd also by Olympus with 7.1 (ish) mega pixels and waterproof to 3 metres. The above films were just a wee experiment, but I reckon with a bit of practice future ones could look quite good.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com