Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Burn at the bottom of my garden.
« on: 08/11/2006 at 14:29 »
Although I no longer have two lochs in my garden, my new house has a burn that runs through the grounds  :grin:  which contains Browns, the odd 'bow and a run of sea trout..shame huh?  :grin:  :grin:

Anyway, my question is this...the burn eventually ends up in the Dee, so I was wondering about fishing rights etc. My landlord has given me permission to fish it on his land, which gives me about a mile of burn, both banks, but I was wondering if there was some sort of protection order etc that I had to look into.

Would i be restricted to certain methods? A lot of it is too overgrown to fly fish but a carefully placed worm would work wonders...(all fish will go back), again, my landlord says no problem, but I want to make sure there is nothing that the salmon board can do to prevent me fishing such a method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh..the biggest 'bow I have seen so far was about 3 pounds...escapees from a fishery a mile or so upstream...should I catch it and give it back to him?..lol

wildfisher

« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2006 at 14:59 »
Be VERY careful. Riparian owners usually have trout rights but   do not always have rights to migratory species fishing. This is common in fact. Unless the owner has migratory rights you could   be guilty of a criminal offence if you fish for salmon or sea trout. The Dee system has no PO. Heaven forbid – that would mean allowing non-salmon fishers on the hallowed banks  in some capacity, however token!  :lol:

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2006 at 17:22 »
As Fred says, be careful - however you should be OK. Simplist thing to do is to check with http://www.dsfia.org/
Approachable guys who will, I'm sure, point you in the right direction if it falls under their remit.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 09/11/2006 at 12:34 »
Cheers chaps....I thought there maybe an issue with the sea trout.

Can't wait to have a go at the Brownies..perfect dead bait size!  :lol:

Thats a joke..honest  :grin:

King Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2006 at 13:39 »
What a lucky man you are!

Can I come along with a bandie net?

:z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com