Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fishing the Don.
« on: 15/05/2008 at 22:06 »
As the latest forum member, Firstly a hello to everyone, and secondly a few questions that some people may be able to help with. I need some advice on fishing the Don. I am pretty new to fly fishing, I started at the beginning of last year but the job I have gives me plenty of time off and I have basically been fishing Stillwater’s quite frequently. This is very enjoyable but I would like more of a challenge and the chance of catching wild fish. Can anyone recommend the best beats for a beginner? Also do you need waders for the beats? Which waders would you recommend, chest, thigh, breathable, neoprene? Any help would be much appreciated.   

Klink.

Richard Tong

Re: Fishing the Don.
« Reply #1 on: 17/05/2008 at 17:32 »
Klink,

In the absence of any other replies so far......it seems that the main effort for Trout appears to be from Inverurie upstream. On the (limited) experience that I have had of the river I would say that anywhere from Monymusk upriver is a good bet this time in the season though I have by no means seen all the beats.

As for the waders if you do not have any go for Breathables and if it is cold then you can layer underneath with thermals as needs be on any particular day. Get Stockingfoot if you can with Wader Boots with Felt soles to go with the Stockingfoots,

Richard

« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2008 at 20:39 »
Thanks for the advice Richard. I`ve been speaking to a few people and they all say the same about the waders. So it looks like I’ll go with the stocking-foot breathables. Can any-one recommend a pair that is hard wearing at a reasonable price? I see that there are lot`s to choose from!

puddock

« Reply #3 on: 17/05/2008 at 21:30 »
I have a pair of Greys (with Greys wading boots) and they have been excellent.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 18/05/2008 at 07:55 »
Klink - welcome to the forum  :z18 I'm sure Sandy, Mike and I would have posted something earlier but we've been away 'playing' :cool: :z3

To be honest there's no beat on the Don that I would immediately suggest a beginner goes to - most stretches have their own characteristics and 'foibles' so learning how to read the water, what flies are hatching, how to cast to fish, and how to spot fish are among the key skills you will need to acquire through experience and apply to the water you fish. There's no harm in doing some reading and Charles Jardines book (Southebys guide to fly fishing :? :z8) covers a lot of stuff but the river information is very good indeed.
I would not wish to give false hope to anyone, river craft is something you acquire through time spent studying and fishing the water; it isn't something that can necessarily be passed on all that easily from one angler to another.

What tackle (rod/reel/line etc) to you currently have :?

Where abouts are you based :?

There is some belting trout fishing throughout the length of the river but, as Richard points out, the majority of effort appears to be above Inverurie. This isn't an entirely accurate representation of the fishing effort though, there is a lot of fishing accessible below Inverurie (via the ADAA principally) and some nice easy beats to fish.

Waders - I've just bought a pair of breathables for the first time. They're Greys 'G' series stockingfoot @ £99 from John Norris (and other suppliers I'm sure). First impressions are excellent, give you plenty of mobility.
If I were you I'd get chest waders, sometimes you really do need to get in the water to cover fish. I'd also suggest you get a wading stick to go with them - handy things :wink

I'm sure others will have something to say on this topic  :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 18/05/2008 at 08:03 »
Hi Klink

Welcome to the forum :z12

Yes, as Hamish has said, sorry for not replying sooner, but we've been away for a few days "playing" :z2

Not much I can add to Richard's or Hamish's replies ......... except ......... Enjoy!

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 18/05/2008 at 09:18 »
Hi Klink

Welcome to the forum :z18

Hamish sums it pretty well, it is something that has cropped up several times over the last few days, In conversations with guys from all over the globe. The general concensus was River craft is a skill learned through experience. The books help and getting to fish with people who have an idea helps greatly, but it is something you have to learn for yourself.

Remember you are asking for more of a challenge, compared to a stillwater, this is definatley what you will get :z16

The river has a lot of very good fish in it, on every beat, but you will need to be very observant, very deft with the casting and you will still need to be in the right place at the right time, unless you are an extremely skilled river reader, I only know one or two, and to be honest so does anyone who reads T and S :wink
However it is a fantastic challenge and once you learn one river, you will know most of them.

So enjoy and if you have any more questions, just ask, someone might be able to help :z16

The Don pages on the main site should give you a few pointers to get going :z16

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: 18/05/2008 at 20:42 »
Thank you guy’s for the advice. I have sourced the book and will give it a read. When I started fly fishing I was using a 7-8 weight rod, line and reel. This was okay in the winter for casting big lures in windy conditions. I have recently purchased a Sharpes 6 weight with matching Orvis reel and line for the better weather. With the dry fly time of the year approaching I thought this lighter outfit would help with presentation. I have also found out that the 6 weight is a lot easier to cast with. I am actually thinking of going down to a 4 weight for the river fishing. What do you guy’s think?

I am due to go offshore in the morning so I my fishing career is on hold for a while, I’ll have plenty of time to choose a pair of waders when I am offshore and they will be waiting for me when I get back! The Grey`s ones do look all right and a reasonable price.

Like you guy’s say, river craft is something you acquire by spending time studying and fishing the river. I guess I’ll be having some day’s up the river scratching my head, can’t wait!!! :z2 :z2

P.S -  I am based in Peterhead but that does not matter, I will travel to fish any of the beats on the Don. Distance is not an issue.  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 18/05/2008 at 22:00 »
A #4wt would be a useful addition to the armoury :wink My prefered weight rod for the river :z16 although a #6wt has it's place  :z17

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 19/05/2008 at 09:13 »
Klink

If you are thinking of going lighter, a good idea IMHO :z16
Wait till you get back onshore and we could maybe meet up at Haddo.
I've a few lighter weights, a couple of 3's and a couple of 5's you could get a few casts with to see what you might like. At the risk of advertising, the Barrio 3wt was designed for fishing the Don and small stillwaters like Haddo, i would give it a throw first, its a cracking little rod and a sensible price for what it is :z16.
Sorry for that, but it has to said, its true

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: 20/05/2008 at 10:33 »
Sandy,

I fish at Haddo quite a lot when I`am at home, I`ve probally been fishing the same time as you but never knew who you were!   :?

I know Mike, so I can ask to try a lighter outfit the next time I`am up. I would`nt mind trying the Barrio 3`wt,  just to see what all the fuss is about!!!!!!!!

Graeme.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 20/05/2008 at 17:26 »
I'd be the one drinking tea rather than fishing :z6

:z4 :z4

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com