Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

The Ugie?
« on: 15/05/2008 at 18:40 »
Would i be right in saying the fishing rights for the Ugie were up for sale not so long ago if so who has them now?
Also how near Inverugie can you fish before you need a permit is it as far upstream as where the north and south meet or much nearer Inverugie?

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: The Ugie?
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2008 at 19:42 »
The Lunar fishing company bought the rights but has leased them back to the nagling association , its relatively expensive for a season ticket though , not exactly sure arond £250 plus. Its also £30 for a dauy ticket and £50 a day after August.
The assoctaition water  is quite far up the river I could be wrong but a think its about 12 miles.

Cheers

Jim   

Ross

« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2008 at 19:52 »
The association water is at the mouth and generally runs for a few miles, there's nothing up river.

In god knows how many years, I've yet to see a ghillie up my end of the woods, Mintlaw.

Excellent wee river just for a laugh

Also, I'm totally against the permit price...it's a supreme RIP off.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2008 at 20:48 »
In god knows how many years, I've yet to see a ghillie up my end of the woods, Mintlaw.

I didn't think you needed a permit up as far as mintlaw i thought it was just after inverugie it stopped hence my question of how far from inverugie.

Dave

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2008 at 22:29 »
The association water covers the whole of the main river with the exception of about 3/4 mile of single bank at the meetings which is private. They also cover a substantial proportion of both the main tributaries, up to near Mintlaw on the South Ugie and nearly to Strichen on the North Ugie.

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2008 at 22:44 »
hi,
you need a permit to fish from the estury right through to the road bridge in maud and to strichen on the north water (exactly were it ends is a bit of a unknown). no free fishing in the estury and aden park is non fishing all together now.

as for gillies there is non working on thr ugie but the ballif lives just outside mintlaw.

Ross

« Reply #6 on: 16/05/2008 at 10:32 »
Aden is still free fishing as I was speaking to one of the rangers the other day! (They were kicking some kids off the Pond for fishing, told them to head to the river).

From Old Deer bridge right through to the other bridge (Across a farmers field) is free fishing under Aden Park.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #7 on: 16/05/2008 at 11:38 »
Aden park is the only bit of free fishing, but you still have to pick up a ticket from the park ranger.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 16/05/2008 at 18:02 »
hi,
you need a permit to fish from the estury right through to the road bridge in maud and to strichen on the north water (exactly were it ends is a bit of a unknown). no free fishing in the estury and aden park is non fishing all together now.

as for gillies there is non working on thr ugie but the ballif lives just outside mintlaw.

Well my father owned a farm 2 miles out of strichen (towards mintlaw) and as far as we knew he had the rights for his bank (north ugie) nothing in the deeds to say otherwise.

The association water covers the whole of the main river with the exception of about 3/4 mile of single bank at the meetings which is private. They also cover a substantial proportion of both the main tributaries, up to near Mintlaw on the South Ugie and nearly to Strichen on the North Ugie.

Which Association is this they must have a map to show where you can and cant fish?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: 16/05/2008 at 21:01 »
It is the Ugie Angling Association, they used to provide a rough map.
Farmers owning land right to the river bank will have the right to fish for brown trout on their property. The rights to fish for salmon and sea trout can be under separate ownership, unless he has the title deeds for the salmon fishing. Most of the salmon and sea trout fishing on the Ugie and for most of the length of the tributaries was formally owned by Pitfour Estates, this was sold last year to the Lunar Fishing Company. They let the fishings to the association, as did Pitfour estates for many years.

Ross

« Reply #10 on: 16/05/2008 at 22:57 »
Salmon....in the Ugie? :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 17/05/2008 at 01:08 »
It is the Ugie Angling Association, they used to provide a rough map.
Farmers owning land right to the river bank will have the right to fish for brown trout on their property. The rights to fish for salmon and sea trout can be under separate ownership, unless he has the title deeds for the salmon fishing. Most of the salmon and sea trout fishing on the Ugie and for most of the length of the tributaries was formally owned by Pitfour Estates, this was sold last year to the Lunar Fishing Company. They let the fishings to the association, as did Pitfour estates for many years.

So basically you need a permit if fishing for Salmon/sea trout on the ugie and its tributaries?

But you can fish the whole of the ugie and its tributaries for Brown trout with just the land owners permission?

I just need someone to take me under their wing and show me how to fish the fly on a river now.

Dave

Ross

« Reply #12 on: 17/05/2008 at 08:55 »
So basically you need a permit if fishing for Salmon/sea trout on the ugie and its tributaries?

But you can fish the whole of the ugie and its tributaries for Brown trout with just the land owners permission?

I just need someone to take me under their wing and show me how to fish the fly on a river now.

Dave

Nip into hook, line and sinker (If it's still there, been a while) and pickup the £10 day ticket for the entire river. Drop me a PM and I'll take ya out and about. The river is a good laugh and you sometimes catch alright fish but 9/10 it's tiddles. None the less, good fun!

Dave Mundie

« Reply #13 on: 17/05/2008 at 10:46 »
 :z18 Ross pm sent

« Reply #14 on: 18/05/2008 at 00:35 »
hi,
hook line and sinker no longer sell day tickets and they are no longer £10 either, you can get them at luner fishing at the harbour or from the waterside inn and are £30 for a day ticket, and £50 after 31st august, week tickets are now only £80 till end of august going up to £150 after that

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com