Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

River Lochy
« on: 11/05/2008 at 21:54 »
I'm just back from three days on the lochy after silver tourists, fantastic weather for the bus load tourists but with a low clear river and bright sunshine it was not the most favourable conditions for fishing. I did all the right stuff sacrificed flies to the river and tree gods, baptised twice (rocks hurt more in breathables)and broke a rod on the second day (Rob/Sandy how are you on repairs). All I can say is it pays to check the joints on a regular basis. Fortunately a recently aquired second rod (thanks Iain) came to the rescue. The last day was overcast and low and behold I hooked a good fish I estimate low teens but give it a few more weeks and I'm sure it will be high teens / low twenties. After a couple of leaps and several surging runs the fish the fish was subdued and with the poly leader through the top couple of rings (it was that close) not so long distance catch and release was practised. Oh the agony so close to landing this silver bar but never mind the fish was released with no handling, could I count it on a catch return probably not but I do have a great memory. All in all I'm fortunate to have an opportunity to fish a great river in stunning surroundings, yes, a great few days a great bunch of guys and one of my fellow anglers visits this site on a regular basis but has yet to join/contribute.  A final thanks to Hamish for his advice and flies and next year who knows, just maybe........... :z15   

Hamish Young

Re: River Lochy
« Reply #1 on: 11/05/2008 at 23:34 »
Pleased you had a good time Kev :z16 It is a wonderful place to fish  :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 12/05/2008 at 05:54 »
Kev

Sounds like a grand trip :z16

What type of breakage is it?

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 12/05/2008 at 12:40 »
Hi Kev,

Glad to see the rod came in handy but sorry to hear about the fish - you can put in a lot of man hours to hook one and when it throws the hook its' 'slightly annoying'.........but better to have loved and lost, etc.

It sounds like the rod broke at one of the joints - Do you tape them?

Iain

Kev Danby

« Reply #4 on: 12/05/2008 at 20:24 »
No I didnt tape the joints the rod broke on the third section I estimate about an inch of the joint is in the top section. It is a fairly clean break so i think it is repairable.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 12/05/2008 at 20:30 »
Well done anyway Kev , shame about the rod. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself all the same.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 13/05/2008 at 07:13 »
Kev

Drop it off at Mikes next time you're there, I'll have a look.
Or have a go yourself, if its a clean break it may be an easy fix. :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com