Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: How is the Don looking?
« Reply #30 on: 26/05/2008 at 17:24 »
Totally agree with Noel , great report Richard ,thanks for sharing that with us duffers  :wink

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 27/05/2008 at 00:23 »
Thanks for that Richard ........ Great stuff :z16

I've received the photos and will get them posted here as soon as possible, as I'm not long home from the loch. Reading through your post I could feel the excitement and almost picture the river and the fish! :cool:

Thanks again
Mike Barrio

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 27/05/2008 at 01:09 »
These are real crackers Richard ........ awesome! :z12   I've also posted yours in the forum gallery :wink

( below ) Richard with his 4 lb 3 oz River Don Brownie

( below ) Paul with his 2 lb 8 oz River Don Brownie

( below ) Paul with his 3 lb 10 oz River Don Brownie

( below ) Paul with his 3 lb 10 oz River Don Brownie

Thanks once again for sharing them with us :z16
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 27/05/2008 at 10:25 »
Ricardo,

great post & pictures, informative and very inspirational. Got out the 3wt a few days ago for the first time this year and have managed to land and lose two fish around the 2lb mark on nymphs but now I'm going to get the dries out for sure.

I'm sure these posts are encouraging to all river trout anglers

Iain

« Reply #34 on: 27/05/2008 at 16:27 »
 Fantastic report and photographs. Some awesome trout you had there.  :grin

Ross

« Reply #35 on: 27/05/2008 at 20:25 »
Yeah nymphs are doing really well, took one out on Sat of about 2-3lbs! Was using a floating line most of the day...nothing, switched to intermediate and wham, 8 fish later with the above being my biggest.

What were you all using?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #36 on: 28/05/2008 at 10:18 »
Hi Ross,

a good sized fish - well done.   I've never even contemplated using anything other than a floater for river Brownies but it obviously made the difference that day. The Middle/ Lower Don does have some deep Pots which must hold some monster troot

Anyone else use an intermediate regularly/occasionally?

Iain

uli

« Reply #37 on: 04/06/2008 at 10:01 »
Fantastic topic. I had a 5 ½ lb trout at Upper Parkhill one evening last  week on a yellow may dun. The Don cannot be beaten for trout fishing, there is no point in even thinking about going anywhere else in my humble opinion.  ADAA water is the best on the river for reliable rising fish. Keep up the good work.

Richard Tong

« Reply #38 on: 04/06/2008 at 11:46 »
Uli,

What a beauty!! This beat has been recommended by a number of folk on the Forum and I think when we are next up(hopefully shortly) we will have a day on it. When considering the Don we only really looked from Monymusk upstream which are the more 'famous' beats but they can be a bit hit or miss and if Upper Parkhill has reliable numbers inc big Trout then it must be worthy of attention. What time of day did you get your fish and did you get any others?

Richard

uli

« Reply #39 on: 04/06/2008 at 12:51 »
Ricardo,  I got that fish at about 8.00PM. Only decent fish that evening, had a few others just over the pound, but I have had 3 fish over 3 lbs this season (late April) and plenty in the 1 ½  to 2 lb range. The lower Don is good but the 'countryside'    :z4  is pretty dire and it is noisy being on the airport flight path.

Richard Tong

« Reply #40 on: 04/06/2008 at 16:41 »
......hmmm don't fancy fishing in Suburbia much. May have to rethink this one!!

Richard

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 04/06/2008 at 16:48 »
Some of it's not so bad  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: 05/06/2008 at 06:07 »
Some of it's not so bad  :wink

I'd second that.

Richard, upper parkhill is well worth a few casts, as is lower parkhill and upper fintray. Lots of very nice fish, though i dont think you can get on the latter two unless you have an ADAA season ticket?

Sandy

Dave Gordon

« Reply #43 on: 05/06/2008 at 06:54 »
http://www.aberdeenfieldsports.com/shop/products.asp?hdnCtrlPageNum=&item0=&manukey0=-1&deptkey0=32&srch0=&sort0=7&slct0=dept&ipp0=&selmanukey0=-1&seldeptkey0=32&srch0top=Shop+Search&selsort0=7&CtrlPageJump=1

You can buy ADAA  roving permits for weekly and daily fishing here, as long as you live 25 miles from the city! Each one includes a small donation to the River Don Trust.

Richard Tong

« Reply #44 on: 05/06/2008 at 18:29 »
I suppose 330 miles from Aberdeen then we stand nae chance!! :z6

Richard

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com