Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Rod Rack advice
« on: 28/04/2008 at 21:19 »
I'm looking to buy a set of those rod rack type thingies for the car & wondered if anyone had any recommendations on either type or manufacturer

Magnetic, Vacuum, magnetic locking, etc. etc.

cheers

Iain

stickleback

Re: Rod Rack advice
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2008 at 21:38 »
I've had the vacuum type for the last 3 years and am very pleaased with it.  However, I've been told that in wet conditions this style can occassionaly slip and in some cases, fall off.  I've never had a hint of this problem.  I've heard others swear by the combination magnetic and vacuum.  Bottom line is, having heard the scare story I only use mine for relatively short trips and watch my speed and the rain.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 28/04/2008 at 21:48 »
Stickleback,
                the chance of 'occasional' slippage is a concern so thanks for that

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 28/04/2008 at 22:06 »
So long as you use a micro-fibre cloth (or something like it) clean and dry off the bonnet/fixing area and the bottom of the vac-rack they're fine in the wet.
Speed is the killer - seen some nice rods go to fishing heaven that way  :z10

Remember this angling safety message folks - speeding kills rods  :wink

Dave Gordon

« Reply #4 on: 28/04/2008 at 22:17 »
I have a landrover, so magnetic is out!
However i attach the rod rack to the car with a short bit of line. The front one attaches the rack to the front grill and the top one goes through the window or sun roof. Worst that can happen is that the rod goes from being supported on the rack to bouncing on the roof or bonnet. Not ideal but the rods remain basically undamaged and the car only at worst gets a scratch, which will polish out.
Never had a problem with up to 4 salmon rods and mad dashes up to Braemar from Aberdeen.

Brian Brand

« Reply #5 on: 28/04/2008 at 22:46 »
Sounds easier just to break down the rod and put it into it's rod tube :z8

A lot cheaper than losing a rod, being an aberdonian from birth :z4

Regards,
Bri.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/04/2008 at 00:12 »
Hi Iain

I'm with Brian on this one ....... I've seen too many tears :cry

But, the little magnetic rod holders for resting your rod against the side of the car while tackling up ..... those are a great idea :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 29/04/2008 at 08:17 »
Me too

never saw the point in a rod rack on my car, but then i wont use it to pull trailers or have normal roof racks either :z6

Dave, you should just rivet the rod rack on, thats what landies are for :z4

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 29/04/2008 at 08:37 »
My rods fit inside my Landy already made up ;)

I must say that I see a lot of vehicles round my way with rods on them..and 9 times out of ten, the tips are bouncing around wildly banging into each other. Not for me thanks...

second thing is I often see the vehicles outside the shops in Banchory and I am really amazed that some of these rods dont go walkies when there owners are in the shop/pub. No security if you need to leave your car unattended for a few minutes.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 29/04/2008 at 09:19 »
second thing is I often see the vehicles outside the shops in Banchory and I am really amazed that some of these rods dont go walkies when there owners are in the shop/pub. No security if you need to leave your car unattended for a few minutes.

Perhaps that says more about the good honest folk of Banchory than anything else  :z8

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 29/04/2008 at 09:22 »
Perhaps that says more about the good honest folk of Banchory than anything else  :z8

:z4 :z4 :z4...obviously not been in the high street at kicking out time on a saturday night ;)

But yeah, your right...but if I had several grands worth of gear, I would not strap it to the top of my car and leave it parked unattended  :z8

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 29/04/2008 at 16:20 »
:z4 :z4 :z4...obviously not been in the high street at kicking out time on a saturday night ;)

Indeed I have - in my youth ofcourse :oops

But yeah, your right...but if I had several grands worth of gear, I would not strap it to the top of my car and leave it parked unattended  :z8

Neither would I - more money than sense some folk  :wink

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #12 on: 29/04/2008 at 18:18 »
Rod racks probably make more sense if you are transporting salmon rods, because the joints are taped up it makes things much easier if you can leave them set up for the day. With trout rods you can simply break them down while transporting them. I now use the magnetic rod holders after a few close escapes with the vacuum holders coming loose. If you do go with the vacuum holders, make sure the surface you apply them to is spotlessly clean or the vacuum can gradually fail. I havent had any problems with the magnetic holders slipping, even on a wet surface, they can leave small scratches on the paintwork of your car if the magnetic surface and the surface of the car are not kept clean, these can easily polish out though.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 29/04/2008 at 22:21 »
Magnetic over vacuum is the way I will go - thanks for all the input.

These are for transporting a Salmon Rod over short distances - e.g.  last Saturday I had to remove the tape and split the mid section of the rod three times in as many hours when moving relatively short distances on the Don.

Iain

JIMBOB

« Reply #14 on: 30/04/2008 at 14:32 »
I've used the vacuum type rod holders for the past twenty odd years sometimes with three rods and never had a slippage. The car body has to be reasonable dry before affixing.

It's a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com