Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fishing the Don tomorrow
« on: 25/04/2008 at 20:56 »
Hi - I'm fishing the upper Don tommorow - how's the river height etc. any hints? (Haven't fished the Don for many years!)

Cheers

Colin

Hamish Young

Re: Fishing the Don tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: 25/04/2008 at 21:54 »
Where on the upper Don :?

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 26/04/2008 at 09:14 »
Colin

If you go to
http://www.fishdon.co.uk
and click on river height in in the left hand menu bar you can see the latest figures for river heights.
The only hint is to look out for the hatch of olives, usually in the deeper pools. A good hatch should bring rising fish. If it is a bit sparse try the spiders.

Tight lines

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 27/04/2008 at 15:28 »
I fished the Don at Monymuk yesterday , although it was not in spate and running clear , there was alot of water coming down , making some of the runs to fast for fly fishing. I still enjoyed the day and had 3 trout , no big ones though.

:z18

Jim     

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 27/04/2008 at 16:54 »
Jim

You did better than me. There was no hatch where I was and no rising fish. All I caught was a 5lb kelt. :shock

I though it was a monster brownie until it started jumping and walking on its tail, then I could see the red belly :cry

Ah well, maybe next time.

Irvine

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 27/04/2008 at 21:07 »
Irvive

There was a wee bit of a hatch around lunchtime with some Olives coming off , They were unmolested by the troot though , I got mines on the nymph , never saw a fish move all day bar the one I caught.

Cheers

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com