Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

First 3 weight trout
« on: 22/04/2008 at 12:42 »
Well, Iain convinced me to go for a wee trip after a trout or two to try out my 3 weight (thanks sandy) and to get a bend in my rod. We headed out to Glentanar and jumped into the boat and off we went.

Iains ghilling skills soon had us in amoungst the fish and I hooked my first trout on a 3 weight..only to have the leader part!  :mad It took a CDC buzzer (size 16) off the top and I wonder if it had not caught the leader at the same time.

Anyway, after a few changes I hooked a fish of about 3 pounds on a size 16 pearly spider. Just as i thought, the 3 weight bent and bent and the fish was beat easily using the bend of the rod to tire the fish :) I later went on to take a slightly bigger one on another CDC buzzer.

The fish where not having it though, partly due to a cold swirling wind comming down off the snow capped mountains and very very bright sunshine...and also my crap casting! I have to say I struggled with the wind a little. A WF 4 would have helped i think instead of the DT 3 I was using. I ended up switching to a 5 weight for better wind penitration.

All in all though an enjoyable trip..with Iain beating me 4 fish to 2..but it is "his" water after all ;)

If anyone is passing deeside, its worth a pop in by for a cast or two..a very pretty wee loch.

Iain Cameron

Re: First 3 weight trout
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2008 at 17:46 »
hi rob...
conditions did make it tough... i got sunburn but wore a couple of fleeces and windproofs all day... but what can i say about your casting on sunday?!?! only good thing i can say was that you didn't catch me at all... you did have a bit of a 'mare... you even managed to hook yourself on the dropper hanging on your spare rod... good effort! :-0

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 22/04/2008 at 20:55 »
Well done Rob,

And two hooked on the CDC buzzers - one of my favourite methods.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2008 at 08:40 »
Iain,
One of those days i am afraid..one of those days!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com