Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Kintore Salmon
« on: 19/04/2008 at 23:25 »
Went down to the Don at Kintore this afternoon and finally caught a 'springer'. Approx. 9lb, on a self designed & tied fly (aren't they all variations on a theme anyway).
Good to see 7 of the 8 anglers I saw using the fly.

Maybe now I can look towards some Brownie fishing.....none showing today but fly life was in evidence.

B Lucky
Iain

Dave Mundie

Re: Kintore Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2008 at 17:36 »
Well done Iain  :z12

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2008 at 21:09 »
Congrats - nice fish. As a matter of interest did it go back :?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2008 at 21:10 »
Nice fish  :cool:
Well done that man.
 :z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2008 at 21:25 »
Iain

Lovely fish :z16, must mirror Hamish's question though?
Did it swim off to see another day?

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 20/04/2008 at 23:11 »
Yes, it went back - haven't taken a fish from a river in ..........? honestly can't remember.

It does look like it's a corpse but it must have just been helping me out - must have felt sorry for me as I was unsuccessfully trying to video myself while playing it - lots of good footage of reeds, my knees and sleeves!

Fish should be at arriving at Monymusk any minute now.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 21/04/2008 at 08:12 »
Fantastic :z16

Well done you for avoiding the temptation,many wouldn't :z6

Did you get it on a floating line?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 21/04/2008 at 09:32 »
And where is a picture of the fly? ;)

Well done all round :)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 21/04/2008 at 15:54 »
Well done Iain!!, super stuff.

I too got my first brown trout at Kintore on Friday night......albeit it was more like 9oz.....but a bonny trout all the same.

Cheers,

Steven

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 21/04/2008 at 17:41 »
 Here's a picture of the fly

It's pretty straight forward as you can see but the 'crafty' little innovation I have used in this as well as a few of my other salmon tubes is the UTC Vinyl Rib over a flat tinsel (silver in this case) for the body.

It's tied on a 1" brass tube and was fished on a DDC shooting head system - floating belly and slow sink tip.

P.s. Well done Stephen....I could catch 9oz Brownies all season - an chance of describing your tackle and method?

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 21/04/2008 at 21:02 »
Steven,
 I mean your fishing tackle obviously! :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 22/04/2008 at 08:13 »
Do you fish the fly with the hook inverted like that? Interesting concept to stop it getting caught on the rocks :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 22/04/2008 at 10:51 »
Hi Rob Yes,

When I had casting lessons I was picking my instructors brains continually regarding useful hints 'n' tips & this is one he gave me - it prevents hang ups on rocks, collecting bits of weed and apparently the Salmons top jaw bone is a two part affair with a fleshy bit in the middle (If I understood him correctly) and this is a great place for the hook to be set - so I always fish tubes with the hook this way.

I did think about this concept when tying Salmon Doubles .................interesting idea for one of the fly-tying comp's

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com