Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

River Advice
« on: 17/04/2008 at 13:08 »
I have finally got my backside in gear, holidays booked, and plan to make a concerted effort to tackle some river fishing. I made a few abortive attempts last season. Any help with the following questions would be appreciated.

Which beats of the Don would you recommend to someone new to river fishing?
Are there any other rivers in the North East that would be a better starting point?

Robbie

Gary

Re: River Advice
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2008 at 13:52 »
Hello Robbie.  I asked a similar question this time last year.  Basically IMHO your best bet is the Aberdeenshire Council owned stretches of the River Don.  Check out the links on their website: http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/parks/fishing/index.asp

The day permits for brown trout are extremely good value.  I fished the Kintore beat mostly last year.  This is quite an open stretch of river (ie fewer trees to hook)  :z16. Although when I first started I caught b*gger all 'cos I didn't know what I was doing  :z8.  A bit better now but still only catch small 'uns (that is a reflection of my abilities, not the quality of the fishing...I think :z4).

To this date I have not found any realistic alternative to the Don.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 17/04/2008 at 15:33 »
I used to have fun up on the devron...pretty under rated for the trout as most folk are after slamon and sea trout.

I fished around Turriff (Association water) and when Ian Masson was on the go, I got very cheap fishing through his contacts.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2008 at 15:37 »
Robbie

Where are you based? this would help determine the best and most accessible spots to try first :z16

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2008 at 16:02 »
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my post.

I am based near Laurencekirk. So it is a wee bit of a drive to fish the Don, but from what I have read on this forum should be well worth it (if I can figure out what to do).

So far I have been a bit lost as to where best to start when it comes to rivers.

Robbie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2008 at 16:27 »
Ahhh..I used to stay in Auchenblae.

Right, you have a lot of small burns round you that are great fun on the fly. Nothing huge, but a great way to hone your skills. Just because the river is small does not mean you can't learn how to read bigger rivers.

Are you a member of the Laurenckirk assosiation. The have a bit just near Laurenekirk, on the Luther. I have had brownies to around a pound and a bit on the dry. There is also a nice stretch downstream of the bridge on the back road between Auchenblae and Stonehaven.

Bit further south there is a bit under the main A 92 (the dundee road) about a mile before you hit the North esk. Again the fish are not big, but great fun to fish for.

Also Stonehaven is worth joining so you can fish the Cowie and the Carron. I have taken wee trout from just next to the fish and chip shop on the Carron Bridge.. :) The pools on the cowie just by the football park and radio controlled car track are rarely fished for trout and you can find some lovely lies..also a bit further upstream, to the west of the main road.

Hope thats helped a bit

Rob

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 17/04/2008 at 19:52 »
Sounds like a great starting point  to me :z16

If you learn a wee bit about how to read a smaller river, it'll stand you in excellent stead for the bigger ones. Smaller waters are more intimate and you get to find out about the insects more and where the trout lie as you can see more of the available water and topography of the river bed.
Once you figure it out , the Don or the like will be far less daunting.
the other advantage of staying local is you can come and go as and when you please, so you are more likely to spend 2-3 productive hours once you figure when the hatches are, than spending all day getting hacked off before the fish come on the feed.
Its a lot of fun, I've a small river near me now so this year will spend many evenings out exploring.
I'll make trips to the Don though, but only when i know there is likely to be a hatch on :z16
Should be great fun.
I recommend following some of Robs leads, it'll provide you with a lot of fun, without the driving.

By all means visit the others rivers if you want though, all experience is good, for the Don i'd wait for a summer evening from mid june onwards and come up to fish from 6-11. The evening rises are the best way to find fish and hone when to lift, what flies are on the water and what the fish may be taking (often a wide variety to choose from).
During the Day in May is good too, but you'll find the rises in specific areas on the river and it often doesn't last very long (from 10mins to a couple of hours), can be a bit hit or miss unless someone is with you, still thats all part of the fun :grin

Hope some of this helps

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: 18/04/2008 at 13:17 »
Thanks to all for the great advice.
Will give the local streams a go.

Robbie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 18/04/2008 at 14:19 »
Robbie,
I used to fish a size 16 or 14 dry fly that i tied myself...it seemed to work wonders, if not being slightly unconventional!!

It goes like this...

tail and hackle, standard Blue Dun,
Body, metallic blue tinsel.
Butt, 2 turns of red metallic tinsel

Was just a variation of an Iron Blue Dun but seemed to catch well on the Luther and Cowie :)

I forgot to mention the Bervie too. Again, no one fished it for trout..and its a bit bigger than the other rivers.

Have fun :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 18/04/2008 at 20:53 »
The Tay, Tummel, Ericht & Isla are pretty close too. Also a friend of mine had some success with some modest Brownies on the Lunan, which isn't too far from you.

salar35

« Reply #10 on: 18/04/2008 at 21:58 »
Robbie

Laurencekirk & District AA secretary Eric Greig (egreignwb@aol.com) will point you in the right direction re their fishings on the Bervie, Luther etc. You could also take a look at our own Stonehaven & District AA waters via our website at stonehavenangling.com - and download an application form from there, if you fancy joining. Our River Cowie in particular can produce super sport from May onwards and in particular Aug/Sept/Oct for seatrout and some grilse and I am always happy to show new members the productive pools (or should I say at least some of 'em!).

Dry fly for brownies can produce good sport with smallish but hard fighting fish, too, as Rob has already said. We have two stocked stillwaters as well as the Cowie, Carron and upper Bervie, so there's plenty to chose from.......and there's something particularly satisfying in developing your rivercraft on a small spate stream and taking fish from wee pools and pockets that most anglers would simply walk by.   Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 19/04/2008 at 07:42 »
Robbie

Make sure you have some Hares Ear F-flies in 14-18 and some Black F-flies in same sizes.
Should cover you for just about any small stream riser. Small orange spent spinners are also a great fly to keep for summer nights 14-18 again. Little black beetle flies are handy too about a 16 (black and peacock will do, if you cant get foam ones)
Apart from that I dont think there is much more to add :z16

Have fun

Sandy

zeolite

« Reply #12 on: 19/04/2008 at 12:09 »
My great uncle was a great fisherman (and a luther resident for many years) and told me of many a good trout he had from the Luther in the 60s. I am sure they are still there to be caught.

Can agree wholeheartedly with salar35s post. Some of my best fishing memories are from the Cowie. I got my first salmon and my first fly caught sea-trout from there. I would still be a member if I didn't live in Fife.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 19/04/2008 at 20:16 »
Welcome to the forum "zeolite"  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

zeolite

« Reply #14 on: 20/04/2008 at 15:37 »
Thanks Mike. I did post on the old forum though. :D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com