Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Milbuies Fishery near elgin
« on: 17/04/2008 at 02:06 »
my sons and i have fished this venue on a number of occasions and have caught fish on nearly every trip has anyone else fished here

Sandy Nelson

Re: Milbuies Fishery near elgin
« Reply #1 on: 17/04/2008 at 06:04 »
welcome to the Forum

I've wandered around Milbuies many times but have yet to fish it :roll
Full of intention to try this year though :z16

Sandy

salar35

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2008 at 14:04 »
In my youth in Elgin, I fished Millbuies frequently. It's a stunningly beautiful location with public walks round it. At least at that time, it was boat-only, of shallow-to-medium depth, crystal clear with plenty bottom weed growth and held fine stock of browns and rainbows. I always preferred the upper loch of the two, which was accessed via a short connection channel. Successful flies included all the usual choronimids and damsels (the place is humming with damsels and dragonflies) , or for something different, anything to represent a small common newt as there's loads there and the trout used to love 'em.

I once caught a 2.5lb pound brown on a sort of hare's lug x damsel cross, and it had a small male toad in its throat with one hind leg still sticking out of its mouth (quite why or even how it managed to grab my fly, I am not sure). There was also a curious bulge in its stomach and when I gutted it, out popped the remains of a second small male toad.

So has anyone out there got a fly pattern for a three inch "bufo bufo"?!

« Reply #3 on: 21/04/2008 at 01:36 »
thanks for your post salar35 my son took a lovely rainbow of 3lb 11oz off millbuies last week

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com