Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gary

Angling Associations
« on: 13/04/2008 at 23:13 »
I live in Aberdeen and just started fishing the Don last year.  I have been fishing the cooncil stretches at Inverurie and Kintore.  I am interested in getting more involved in this and wonder if the best solution is to join an Angling Association with syndicate water on the river.  Only problem is I can't find any information about this  :z8

I know the ADAA have a website but I also understand there is a long waiting list and it also seems fairly heavily geared towards Salmon fishing.  Are there any other associations that people know about in the area?

Otherwise I guess it is just persevering with the cooncil waters - not that there is anything wrong with this but I presume they are pretty heavily fished.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Angling Associations
« Reply #1 on: 14/04/2008 at 08:20 »
Gary

Nothing wrong the Council stretches of the Don, not really overfished at all for trout.
Much of the river is owned by estates. But there are Inverurie Angling Assoc and the Kemnay Angling Club as well as the ADAA. I cant think of any more actual associations on the river. I know Inverurie AA is seperate from the fishing as far as fees goes, but they have access to another couple of beats that are very good (Bri on the forum is a good guy to ask), i think Kemnay AA runs the beat from the Fetternear bridge in the town up to the bottom of the Monymusk beat. Not sure of any clubs up Alford way, anyone else :z8
ADAA may be a touch biased but the fishing they have is excellant and the current regime is different and changing. You'll not really get bothered by the salmon guys if you're after trout, there is more than enough room for everyone and a lot of the better trout water actually doesn't see many salmon anglers. I dont think the waiting list is that long any more either :z16
Ask Diverdave for more info :grin

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 14/04/2008 at 11:00 »
Gary,
I meant to reply this morning but got mugged at work so here goes.........Spidermans post hits the nail on the 'ead, I've fished the peasants water at Kintore, Inverurie and Alford for a few years now and the amount of water available is massive and I've never came across a situation where these waters were overfished. If you are a Salmon angler there are times when you might have to wait to get onto a favourite pool e.g. the Black Pot at Inverurie but Trout anglers should fish the whole water system as you'd be surprised what you can shoe-horn out of a piece of water that is never fished.

The ADAA is taking in approx. 50 anglers next year and I think the applications number 49ish so I'd hurry if this is your plan. Their waters are vast and the annual subscription is less than that for the cooncil Roving Ticket on the Don, that said I defy anyone to complain about the value of the Don council waters and the quality of the beats.

IMHO a divide between Salmon & Trout anglers on the Don is nothing that I have personally experienced and as someone who fishes for both I have given and received plenty of respect no matter the quarry I was after.

Tight Lines

Iain

Gary

« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2008 at 13:53 »
That's all very interesting to hear.  I wasn't meaning to slight the cooncil waters its just that I haven't fished them that often - My limited experience is that it is great value and that is why I assumed the fishing pressure would be quite high.  Good to hear that it is not.  My plan this season is probably to fish the Kintore and Inverurie beats as much as possible and see if I can take to river fishing. I might then look to join a club.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 14/04/2008 at 15:31 »
Hi Gary,

Never thought you were slighting cooncil beats for a minute. Your idea of fishing those waters this year is good but I'd give you a word of advice/warning - Larger/better fish can be quite switched on and harder to catch so if you can go fishing with someone to show you the 'rivercraft' ropes that would be a great advantage. A river is unlike a stillwater (duh! obviously) and you are at a much greater advantage if you can read the water and have an idea which methods would be more productive for any given situation.

Also, If you can get your hands on a good DVD this would be helpfull, for instance;
Oliver Edwards - Big Dries for Fast Water (or something like that), Oliver Edwards - Upstream Nymph/ Czech Nymphing (or something like that) & Oliver Edwards - Wet Fly and North Country Spiders (or something like that) ........these demonstrate techniques which will allow you to fish all sections of water.

Good Luck

Iain

Dave Gordon

« Reply #5 on: 14/04/2008 at 17:16 »
Hi Gary

The ADAA is a good bet at the moment.
You will get in next season if you apply now and will have access to excellent fishing for all species. We  have a trout loch and are activly seeking another, have been for some time. We have literally miles of lower and middle Don fishing, with superb opportunities for brown and sea trout as well as salmon. You are correct that the membership like salmon fishing, this was clear in last years membership survey and because we have some magnificent salmon water, but wild brown trout were also incredibly popular, with some anglers fishing for them exclusively, and every season some giants are caught.
In addition you will get Dee salmon and seatrout fishing and lower, middle and upper Ythan fishing, which has some wild brownies, good seatrout and salmon fishing. Exchange tickets are available if i remember with Inverurie association, and with Inverness and Brechin AC's We also have negotiated discounted fishings at Tilbouries, Knappach on the Dee and at Haddo and Raemoir trout fisheries
With such a large portfolio of beats it is daunting, i think there are 42 miles of fishings in total, so to assist new members we have induction days, to inform new members about the fishings, when and where advice and who to contact if you are struggling. Also included is fishing etiquete, conservation and disease control. We have introduced beat walks with convenors and I run an Aberdeen Fieldsports 1 day tour, where we cover as many dee and Don beats and pools as possible, covering best pools, car parking and location of the huts. (to let you understand we even have one pool on the Don large enough to justify 3 huts, and we only put huts where we catch fish!)
If you need additional details on the Association (If anyone does) I can be contacted at Aberdeen Fieldsports on Aberdeen 581313

Brian Brand

« Reply #6 on: 14/04/2008 at 21:30 »
Gary,

Hi as Sandy says I am a member of Inverurie Angling Association.

As a club there are various club outings and competitions (River and Loch fishing) but we also lease water on the Don at Ardmurdo & Keithhall, opposite bank from the Paper Mill, from the meetings of the Don and Ury down to the junction with the Kintore beat (apart from a 200 yards section between Ardmurdo & Keithhall beats).

At the moment there are about 6 people on the waiting list for fishing on Ardmurdo/Keithhall, the syndicate is full for this season.

Personally if fishing for Brown Trout I actually prefer the Inverurie Burgh beat, I started fishing as a loon on the Ury.

Regards,
Bri.

Gary

« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2008 at 14:01 »
Wow, lots to take in.  Cheers guys.

Diverdave, what do you pay for the permits on average for the various beats.  I'm presuming membership gives you the right to fish the various waters and there is a small payment each time you do?

Dave Gordon

« Reply #8 on: 15/04/2008 at 18:17 »
Hi Gary

Better than that! You pay a one off joining fee, an annual membership fee, this season it is £165 and you are free to fish any time you like, free of additional charge. There are a few exceptions but all the Don beats, Ythan beats and Loch can be fished when you please, indeed we even have some Sunday fishing.
For our special fishings, such as Tilbouries, Knappach, Raemoir and HADDO we have a very minimal charge to pay, as rods are limited, but for the 40 miles of owned fishings you can come and go as you please. It is stunning value.
Call me at the shop if you are considering joining and i will give you a quick beat tour, to make up your mind

D

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 16/04/2008 at 21:55 »
where do you have to stay to get a membership, cos if its in aberdeen I've just F****d up big style !!!!  :mad :z19

Magnus Angus

« Reply #10 on: 17/04/2008 at 02:53 »
ADAA - within 25 miles of Aberdeen.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com