Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Rainbows in the Tay
« on: 13/04/2008 at 10:50 »
I got 2 stories when in Aberfeldy.

1. The nets on the fishery in Loch Tay had been slashed twice.
2. When transferring fish from 1 net to the other they use a pump and suck the fish out, Apparently they had a YTS working and he didn't tie the outlet pipe to the net and when they started pumping it fell into the loch and it was 20 mins before anyone noticed.

Hence the rules on the river and loch kill every rainbow you catch. But why dont we want bows in the river ect are they more of a predator than any other species :?

Dave

Rob Brownfield

Re: Rainbows in the Tay
« Reply #1 on: 13/04/2008 at 15:17 »
Because they are one of the most vorocious fish out there. People think pike are bad but a Pike has nothing on a rainbow.

For starters, the rainbows will try and spawn with native browns, sea trout and salmon. This means the native fish shed there eggs or milt, but nothing is fertilised.

Secondly, they will sit below spawning fish and snaffle the eggs.

Thirdly they predate on parr.

Fourthly they are fast. much faster than a Pike and can take fish that the Pike cannot.

Fifthly, at a smaller size they compete directly with native trout for food.

Sixthly (is there such a word  :z8) when a cage is slashed several thousand fish suddenly end up in the loch/river..and no environment can support that sudden influx of fish.

The cages get slashed just about every year plus the trout farm at Almondbank has been flooded numerous times.

But none of this is new..the Tay has had rainbows in it for at least the 25 years I have been up here. One of the first fish I caught on the Tay was a rainbow. There are also sea run rainbows recorded (Steelheads) in the river and I believe it was last year that a fish of 14 pounds was taken, covered in sea lice.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 13/04/2008 at 16:39 »
Rob another well informed explanation  :z16

So i guess no matter where were fishing (excluding fisheries) if we catch a bow no matter what size we should knock it on the head to preserve natural species?

Dave

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/04/2008 at 08:47 »
Rob another well informed explanation  :z16

So i guess no matter where were fishing (excluding fisheries) if we catch a bow no matter what size we should knock it on the head to preserve natural species?

Dave

Thats something only your can decide really. Personnally, if i caught a rainbow in a river, it would be my dinner...and it would be the only fish I would kill...everything else I catch goes back.

Rainbows have there place in modern fishing, that cannot be denied, but i also wonder if the average Trout angler realises the threat to natural stocks this predator poses? I know the Dee trust are a bit edgy regarding the odd Rainbow pond along the Dee..and for good reason I guess.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com