Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Leaky waders
« on: 02/11/2006 at 14:40 »
After a great days tubing on Saturday I found I had a leak in my neoprenes it could be the seam but as only one bum cheek was wet it could be a small hole.

Can anyone suggest a good place to obtain a sealant for the seams.

Thanks

Kev

Hamish Young

Leaky waders
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2006 at 16:17 »

Rob Brownfield

Leaky waders
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2006 at 17:48 »
I was going to suggest the same place. I got some liquid neoprene from them, about £3 for a small tube, just dab on the hole and bobs ya uncle. If you want to be really clever, you stretch apart the hole, put a thin coat inside (I used a cocktail stick) then let it set, an invisible repair.

Strangly enough, I was in Somers on Thursday and there was a diver in telling a customer to use the COTOL accelerator with Aquasure for repairing large holes or coating seams.

Dave Gordon

Leaky waders
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2006 at 23:44 »
That was ME!

Cotal is the accelerant and precleaner we use for repairing neoprene. Basically, aquasure, aquaseal and stormsure are all the same product, in different tubes and at slight different costs. When neoprene is used (and ALL repairs should be made in the inside!) the inner nylon fiber absorbes the oils and salts from sweat and the leakage water and reduces the adhesion of the aquasure. The aquasure sticks to the nylon fibers outside, floating in it. It is dry for a time but eventually the wicking causes a channel below the aquasure float and the leakage starts again.

The best way to repair a tear in neoprene is to make a repair using black witch glue, cheap at £2.99 AND SERIOUSLY PERMANENT. Large punctures are repaired the same way, with the witch sealing the hole right the way through, if it is pull or if necesary cut open. If this is not done the water within the material eventually forms an internal reservoir of water, making a porus area which is really difficult to fix.

Then clean the area using cotal and then mix 50/50 aquasure and cotal. It will become like water and easy to paint on. Wet the repair area with cotal and then paint on the aquaseal mix then heat slightly with a hair dryer, perhaps a minute until a skin appears on the repair, which will be soaked right into the nylon weave. Repeat 3 times until you have a 10p sized chemical patch, perhaps 2mm thick. This will be dry to use and the strongest part of your waders in 2 hours!

This technique works very well for seams and boots as well, and if you have slippery boot soles mix in a little sand and paint on, that really works well. it also works on other wader materials but obviously will stop breathables breathing and can attack the membrane, so test first. Though we have never had a problem new materials are coming out all the time

If you are gluing something to neoprene, such as pockets, use bostic 2402. I can have custom pockets made if required, though these may take some time, and i have a good selection in stock

When we repair waders, we pressurise them with compressed air, and find leaks this way, much easier than filling with water and a real quick puncture finding technique, and no drying is required before repair, so this actually makes for a much cheaper repair (basically £10 ish for a patch or two inc test and re - test)

And please, never repair on the outside, it looks so poor.

Mike, sorry for the blatant advertising and trumpet blowing!

diverdave

Mike Barrio

Leaky waders
« Reply #4 on: 07/11/2006 at 00:09 »
Mike, sorry for the blatant advertising and trumpet blowing!

Hi Dave
Thanks for the great feedback  :z14

I'm seeing more and more waders leaking this year ........ and not just the cheaper brands either  :shock:

So anything that helps folk out with repairs is really useful  :cool:

Many thanks
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Leaky waders
« Reply #5 on: 08/11/2006 at 14:20 »
Quote from: "diverdave"
That was ME!

:lol:  Tis a small world..lol.

The liquid neoprene I mentioned..its that Black Witch stuff you said...could not remember the name of it..cheers.

Jay Scott

Leaky waders
« Reply #6 on: 16/11/2006 at 19:46 »
Put a dollop of aquasure on the cut, it'll seal it right up

Jay

Kev Danby

leaky waders
« Reply #7 on: 22/11/2006 at 08:50 »
Hi all thanks for the info.

Dave, is your shop the online one listed by Hamish?

Do you have an address I can probably get this from the web pages, I aim to try and repair the leak (if I can find it) otherwise I will take them in to be repaired.

Cheers

Kev

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com