Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

JamieH

Suggestions for 10ft 7 weight rod
« on: 10/04/2008 at 23:09 »
I'm looking to purchase a 10foot, 7wt rod in the mid price range (Up to about £300), for general drifting boat work. Have been thinking of a Partridge, a Sharpes or one of the cheaper Hardys (Demon).
I would welcome any advice that is out there.

Thanks
Jamie

Mike Barrio

Re: Suggestions for 10ft 7 weight rod
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2008 at 23:28 »
I'm looking to purchase a 10foot, 7wt rod in the mid price range (Up to about £300), for general drifting boat work. Have been thinking of a Partridge, a Sharpes or one of the cheaper Hardys (Demon).
I would welcome any advice that is out there.

Thanks
Jamie

Hi Jamie :z16

Just for floating line brownie loch style work, or for lures and stuff on intermediates too?

Cheers
Mike

JamieH

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2008 at 23:37 »
Basically an all rounder, including a couple of trips up north for Brownies, occassional foray to lake of menteith etc and mostly on Corby Loch.
Thanks
Jamie

jbb

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2008 at 00:00 »
go up to inch and try some of the rods the scierra hm3 is a good 1 :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2008 at 00:14 »
Yes, as John says, the Scierras appear to be very popular at the moment, but I wouldn't buy anything without trying it first.

You can get a Scott A2 4piece 10ft #7 for £235, they are supposed to be very nice ...... see http://www.wellardandscott.co.uk/products/fly-fishing/rods/g176

I'm afraid I'm not much help with 7wts myself, as although I've cast a good few of the latest models, I haven't fished with them. Haven't fished with anything over a #5 for years Jamie :shock

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2008 at 07:51 »
Jamie

The Demons are the best hardy rods i've tried to date, the new Diawa signature rods are really good too if you are after 10fter
The 5 wt was particularly impressive and for stillwater water fishing in this part of the world everything you could ever want.
If you visit places where you need a Hi-d line then perhaps a 7wt is a good thing, mine is for salmon.
I've heard good things about the Scierras too but have not cast one (unlike the demon and signature)
I would talk to diverdave to see about getting to try the Scotts, the 'A' series is a great range as Mike says especially the 9ft 5wt one.

If at all possible try a few rods first if you are spending a few quid, its well worth it, the better shops should accomodate you.
And i would suggest trying some of the lighter weight rods, its much more fun :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2008 at 08:54 »
Sandy,
you supprise me when you say the Demon is a good rod  :shock :shock There breakage rate is high. Ok, Hardy replace them with no quibbles but if you are sitting by a loch and the trout are jumping its not much use.

Jamie,
Have you considered the Orvis Western Comp rod? The shop in Banchory has them and if you give them notice they will take you across the road for a cast with it.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=43E6&dir_id=441&group_id=442&feature_id=27&cat_id=6683&subcat_id=6684

Its about £150 but is really a very very nice rod to fish with.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2008 at 09:26 »
Hi Jamie

I can sort you out any of the Sharpes, Scott or Snowbee rods and can take them our for a cast if you want, I always recommend this when buying an expensive rod.  For the money you are looking at you could get a rod reel and line from these ranges, with a lifetime warranty!
Pm me if you want to give them a go.

D

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2008 at 10:12 »
Rob

I have only been casting the Demons , not living with them :z6
Mind you i'm surprised they have a reputation already, they only became available recently and i hadn't heard any bad press.
Sure you're not mixing them up with something else :z8

Still trying is best :z16

for £300 i'd be building another winston and still have some change :wink

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 11/04/2008 at 11:47 »
Sandy,
It came from a thread on another website about a large angling centre in Scotland and there customer satisfaction..or lack of it...several folk had said they had taken back Demons and been told to send them back to Hardy themselves..and this led onto several others stating they had bought Demons only to have them break. One even broke on the casting pool there..apparently  :z8

But to be fair..thats come from other folk i don't know...but there were certainly a few choice words said  :z12

JamieH

« Reply #10 on: 14/04/2008 at 18:06 »
Would just like to thank everybody for the advice.
I have bought the Orvis Western 2, 7wt for my sunken line boat work etc but am going to look for a lighter shorter rod for my top of the water stuff.

Cheers
Jamie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 14/04/2008 at 20:42 »
Jamie,
I hope you enjoy your rod. The Western is one of the few American rods designed here in the UK for UK styles. I am sure you will like it :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 14/04/2008 at 20:54 »
Jamie,

I bought a 10' 5wt Western2 last winter for czech nymphing (and the odd boat trip on the larger lochs) & it is a nice rod.

Hope it's lucky for you

Tight Lines

Iain

Magnus Angus

« Reply #13 on: 15/04/2008 at 16:52 »
"The Western is one of the few American rods"

Orvis is a US company - Westerns are made in the far east, designed for the UK, lots on input for the UK Orvis team.

Rob - which thread was bashing the Demons?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 15/04/2008 at 20:48 »
Now you are asking..it was one of the American sights, but was getting input from UK anglers..I honestly can't say what site it was as it was a "boring" day at work and I just went looking at various sites.

Have you seen the video of the rod being tested to destruction on the "rod rig"? Something not quiet right when you see it bending...it starts of with a nice curve, then suddenly deforms, with the bend suddenly shifting and losing the smoothness...which is exactly what the Chub (another brand bought by hardy) rod does. Difference is, the Chub is £54!!

From what I remeber the Demons were breaking very soon after starting to fish for the first time. Normally an inch or two from the join. There is also a few Demons going on E-bay, at half price or less, brand new. The chap I am getting my Hardy blanks from said a number of Demons are finding there way onto the market that are factory seconds. I do wonder if it is these rods that are breaking?

The joys of using a Korean factory ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com