Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Streamers on the Don?
« on: 10/04/2008 at 09:12 »
interesting piece in April's Fly Fishing & Fly Tying mag from Roman Moser, talking about streamer fishing in pocket waters in austria.

Anyone trying/using streamers in our rivers? (there was one small mention of it from Sandy ages ago).
I can see a use for it here.

He's using a scullpin/bull loach imitation -- i'm guessing these don't exist in the Don/Dee -- so what would we use as a suitable alternative? Wooly Bugger? a rabbit minkie!? some fry imitator?

iain

Rob Brownfield

Re: Streamers on the Don?
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2008 at 14:51 »
Iain,
YES!!!! I will talk to you next time I see you.

Also, its mentioned in this months T and S in the River Don report.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2008 at 07:43 »
Oh Yes!!!! :z16

No bullheads in the don though, but lots of minnows :wink
The Moser heads are great things and i've been playing, so has Hamish with clouser style flies for quite a while.
Woolly buggers are the easiest way to try it. Olive and cream are a good combination.
The trout are worth imitating too :wink

Sandy

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2008 at 08:35 »
I think on some of the stretches gudgeon are present I'm sure i have seen them around inverurie, the sculpin style would imitate these quite well.

I had a large trout take a small trout that I had hooked an a dry.

I've not tried streamers on the Don but on the River Dove I used to do well with them for trout, perch and chub. The perch used to go well over 2lbs and the chub 4lbs. I remember taking a trout home around the pound and a half mark and on gutting the fish it contained 11 minnows.

I think minnows imitations would be a good starting point for the Don.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2008 at 08:48 »
Have a few flies for you to try iain ;) Scalled down Pike flies that you will be able to fish on a trout rod :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2008 at 11:10 »
Try a polar fibre minnow, I got one or two last april on them

Peter

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2008 at 11:37 »
Try a polar fibre minnow, I got one or two last april on them

Peter

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! lol...I dress them using the golden olive colour, then use a brown and red marker pen to colour them up to look like a minnow.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2008 at 14:13 »
Have a few flies for you to try iain ;) Scalled down Pike flies that you will be able to fish on a trout rod :)

cool... now let's see if i can take a pike out of the Don, that would be interesting...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 11/04/2008 at 22:41 »
I've had 3 over the years And a couple of perch too :wink

Always a surprise :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com