Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Troutstream New
« on: 02/04/2024 at 12:19 »
Sneak Peek   :)

A new fly line for the river - Barrio Troutstream - to be launched over the next couple of weeks.

Grant Montgomery

Re: Troutstream
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/2024 at 12:28 »
Interesting Mike! Any wee clues on what it is taper wise. Is it designed around glass?

I have a new reel (The VR from Kerry) still to spool up with a line to use with my Steffen 4/5, so might hold off. I was going to re-spool a DT5 406 line but don't want to be too hasty ha ha!

Thanks
Grant

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 02/04/2024 at 13:58 »
that is a tease and a half, mike. Look forward to hearing more about this

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2024 at 15:28 »
 *smiley-yippee*

Sandy Nelson

Re: Troutstream New
« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2024 at 15:37 »
Any wee clues on what it is taper wise. Is it designed around glass?

Not specifically Grant. I'll let Mike release the details when he is ready, but the general premise was to create a line that would do a similar job on a bigger river like the Don, as the Smallstream does on a smaller river. So quick to load, but staying totally stable as you increase distance. It's all Mike's genius at work, but I've been doing a lot of the testing and the side effect is he has created a line that is just superb on glass rods. It's been brilliant on all the rods I've tried it on. I've actually been fishing with it for the last 4 years as Covid and lockdown kiboshed the original plan. Its awesome that now the production is back to the UK he is finally able to produce it.
I may have had a hand in the colour choice  *smiley-wink*

Sandy

Grant Montgomery

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2024 at 16:13 »
Thanks Sandy, would you reckon a 5 weight on the Steffen then?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2024 at 16:40 »
100% My 2pc 804/5 has been involved in the testing and they really like each other a lot. It also throws the 4wt rather well too *smiley-grin*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 02/04/2024 at 18:24 »
Hi folks  :z16

More details to come at launch obviously.

The Troutstream has not been designed specifically for glass rods, although as Sandy mentioned above, it does happen to fish rather well on them.

The new line has a 30ft head and features my original transitional style tapers.

The Troutstream is very much about natural versatility - when I'm in the zone on the river I really don't want to be thinking about my gear, I simply want to lift, pause, cast, and maybe add a wiggle or curve in there before the fly arrives where I want it to go.

That might be fishing a dry, a couple of spiders, or a bushy indicator fly with a nymph or two under it, at 20ft or 60ft - I want smooth casting, predictable control and of course, nice presentation.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 03/04/2024 at 07:38 »
Ah, was planning not to buy any tackle this year…. But this sounds tempting indeed

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/04/2024 at 15:26 »
For more details see - https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-troutstream-fly-lines.html

I have WF3F - WF5F available in the webshop.

And the WF6F should hopefully arrive next week  :z16

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #10 on: 04/04/2024 at 15:58 »
So without trying to over simplify things Mike, would you say this is somewhere between the Smallstream and the GT90?

ie the easy loading benefits of the SS, but the presentation benefits of the GT90?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/04/2024 at 16:53 »
ie the easy loading benefits of the SS, but the presentation benefits of the GT90?

That's a pretty good summary Andrew  :) 
But it's perhaps more about the smooth transition between the two as you extend your range, which I think is probably why Sandy likes it so much on his glass rods.

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #12 on: 04/04/2024 at 17:09 »
So:

Ythan = Smallstream
Don = Troutstream

Or something like that!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 07/04/2024 at 05:59 »
Ythan = Smallstream
Don = Troutstream

I’d be more inclined to say Urie =Smallstream
Unless you are talking about the Ythan upstream from methlick

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 12/04/2024 at 08:32 »
Took the production line out for its first foray yesterday on a nice but breezy day.

It’s every bit as good as the prototype but with an even better coating. I managed to get it a decent stretch too

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com