Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ian Fraser-Stables

Genuine question for any up dates on Flouro
« on: 26/03/2024 at 16:27 »
Hi all
It's a bit of a long read but my question is a genuine one and with a bit of background you chaps may be able to help with something I hadn't thought of.

I've used Mono for most of my life, starting out with silk lines and cat gut (horse hair) tippets my dad gave me when I was 5ys old, my first chance at fly casting, I wasn't very good of course, but he was so helpful, I got the bug lol!

I've only used Mono after that but tried some Flourocarbon about 10yrs ago and used it on and off, but not a lot. Grand Max Soft Plus was recommended, hellishly expensive but it was supposed to be the mutts nuts so  I bought the 15.9lb and the 8.2lb lines thinking they would be plenty strong enough. They  worked ok on the few occasions I used them, tying in the thicker 15.9 line as a leader and the thinner 8.2 as a tippet using a Perfection loop a Blood knot down to a Trilene knot at the hook.  Most of the fish I caught were about 2-3lbs, until I put one of my leaders onto a friends line, he hooked into a reasonable fish which we guessed at about 4lbs, it didn't fight hard but almost a few minutes in the line snapped. I was gobbsmacked.

Covid came along so I decided to give the lines a test and was shocked at the lack of strength. The 8.2 sometimes snapped at between 2 -4 lbs and the 15.9 at around 6-8lbs. I thought it might be my knots, but researched heavily and used all sorts, with similar results. Since then I've tried other makes Fulling Mill, Orvis, Rio and a few others and hadn't found one which matched anywhere near the claims, bearing in mind I realise adding a knot reduces line strength.  Indeed some of the mono's I tested, Drennen and Guru in particular broke at line strength or above, but the best is still Hardy Copolymer 10lb BS, which with a  Kreh Loop and a Trilene knot. Consequently I haven't used a Flouro lines for about 5yrs.

So genuinely has anyone been using any newer Flourocarbon lines that have maybe progressed at all?

John Wastle

Re: Genuine question for any up dates on Flouro
« Reply #1 on: 27/03/2024 at 12:08 »
 I have used Aorflo Sghtfree (currently G3)  for trout and Seagaur Ace Hard for salmon/ saltwater for arounf 20years with little trouble.

Unfortunately G3 had a real wobble with bad batches a couple of years ago and I replaced it with Seagaur Invisx (4lb and 6lb for nymphs and small wets) and Wychwood Lure Mode (8lb  for pulling bigger wets and lures).

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 27/03/2024 at 13:27 »
I too used the Airflo one for years and found it very reliable. I have also used the Seaguar Hard Ace , once again relaiable.

Would i shell out for the Seaguar>? Not on your nelly

I now only use mono and love Berkley Trilene in 6lbs. Its bombproof and reliable ( and a fraction of the price of Seaguar)

So much so i bought some of the 4lb but its limp and i found relaibility an issue  :z8

Ian Fraser-Stables

« Reply #3 on: 17/04/2024 at 22:51 »
Just to let you know, I bought some Airflow Flouro recently and am impressed with it, thanks you chaps.  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com