Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Innes

Upper Don Beats
« on: 12/03/2024 at 14:51 »
I regularly have a few days on the upper don in April every year (just love it) - but recently I have found that some of the beats I used to fish have changed ownership or management - I wondered if anyone can help with the following:

I used to love fishing the small waters of the Edenglassie beat, I used to get the old ticket that went from Bellabeg upto almost cock bridge, this seems to have all changed since Candacraig went into new ownership. I was told that the Edenglassie part is owned by Dunecht estate, but have been informed by them that this is not the case.

The last few years I have fished the Culquoich beat, staying in a self catering cottage on the estate. The owners have now sold the land that has a lot of the fishing and I'm not sure who the new owner is or if they would give permits, now I know that they only had the trout rights and this was shared with the Glenkindie beat - does anyone know how to get a couple of days on the Glenkindie beat.

I'm sorted for April this year on Kildrummy and Semeil Farm which I know and really looking forward to - it's just that there is something else about the top of the river at Edenglassie

Thanks for any help !

Sandy Nelson

Re: Upper Don Beats
« Reply #1 on: 13/03/2024 at 12:35 »
Hi Colin

I think the accesible bits of the upper river are all now on Fishpal. Most places seem to have transferred everything to there to make it easier to manage.

Cheers

Sandy

Colin Innes

« Reply #2 on: 13/03/2024 at 16:50 »
Thanks Sandy - I did check FishPal - lots of good stuff on the Don - unfortunately, the top of the river beats are out of date (Strathdon to Cock Bridge - it's down as "Candacraig Estate" on the site which is now quite a small beat only available to guests of the house. Nothing about the bit above known as Edenglassie.) Also no mention of Glenkindie - which I know used to issue permits.

Michael Kearney

« Reply #3 on: 14/03/2024 at 21:48 »
Hello Colin,
Try contacting Robin Melville Tel.  01356 224567 or rlm@landmanagementscotland.co.uk.
All the best, Michael

Colin Innes

« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2024 at 18:59 »
Thanks Michael

Colin Innes

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2024 at 22:18 »
Thanks again Michael, all sorted now - can say how happy I am  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com