Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Nicol

River Don 2024
« on: 12/02/2024 at 08:15 »
Well another season beckons and let's hope it is a good one. Tight lines to all those venturing out for that elusive unicorn the Springer

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2024
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2024 at 13:31 »
Nice one Graham, I hope you enjoy a good season  :z16

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2024 at 18:08 »
had quick hour at parkhill today around 12.00, a few large olives but only occasional risers, missed one on large CDC olive 

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 02/04/2024 at 08:45 »
So my first couple of weeks have been a story of poor shift timing, with the river all but unfishable on my days off.  However I did manage the odd fish on the nymph as I didn’t see a rising fish until last Saturday. Despite there being a few March browns and Large dark olives about

Saturday however saw some excellent hatches of March Browns and a few feeding fish. All quite close to the bank but some pretty nice ones

Cdc spider with the partridge was the business

Sunday saw a nicer day, but a lot less flies And consequently less rising fish. I did manage to find some late afternoon again picking off the MBs

Monday was back to cold and miserable and an upstream breeze. By 2pm I thought it was a write off but then the odd fly appeared and from half 2 to half 3 there was a decent LDO hatch with a sprinkling of MBs.
The fish were tight into the bank and in the slack water at the edges of the streams picking off LDOs

The plume tip was the medicine this time, it makes a great searching fly too, but it worked a treat on these risers.

All great fun on the glass rod, which actually made light work of the conditions. A new best friend methinks  *smiley-love*

And this morning I sit here watching the rain….again…….don’t you just love April  :X1

Michael Kearney

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2024 at 12:18 »
Thanks Sandy, that is a first class fishing report. Great to read about your early season experiences.
Can you say a little more about the action and performance of your TMR glass rod, and the line you are using with it?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 02/04/2024 at 15:40 »
Thats a question that deserves a post of its own Michael.
I'll put one in the Tackle Column  :z16

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #6 on: 02/04/2024 at 17:25 »
Love that artisan reel Sandy  *smiley-love*

John Wastle

« Reply #7 on: 06/04/2024 at 12:30 »
Some cracking fish there Sandy.

A question for the wider forum. I am planning to visit the Don for trout for a few days towards the end of the month. My knowledge is limited to a couple of previous visits and whats online. I'm looking at availability on Fishpal and have a few ideas but if anyone is willing to let me run  couple of thoughts by them via pm I'd be obliged.
Regards
John

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 07/04/2024 at 18:45 »
I am hoping to star my campaign soon.......I am just never home when the river is right.....this weather is so frustrating!!

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2024 at 20:30 »
In the past week I managed a couple of days where there was a fishable river, then we had some shocking weather  *smiley-shocking*
Before it turned to shit I managed a few on March browns and LDOs including some crackers.

Even managed a blank on a day when the daffys were more welcoming than the fish

Fortunately work got in the way during the week and today was my first chance to get back out. I found a river at a lovely height and colour but still running at 7degrees.  LDOs from early afternoon brought a few to the top

However at 3.30 some March Browns started to appear and some of the bigger ones started to move, but they were hard to spot

Interesting that I took my last fish at around 4.45pm on a spent spinner.
Next few days look to be fairly stable so fingers crossed it becomes a bit more consistant

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 20/04/2024 at 22:03 »
Nice one Sandy, fingers crossed for a bit of settled weather  :)

Michael Kearney

« Reply #11 on: 20/04/2024 at 22:45 »
Interesting and enlightening to read that you caught an early season fish on a spent spinner, Sandy. We know that female spinners of both species return to the water to lay their eggs, otherwise we wouldn’t see duns the following year, but I think your report is the first reference I have read of an angler taking trout in April on a spinner pattern of either a Large Dark Olive or a March Brown. Did you see natural spinners on the water and any indications that fish were feeding on them?
Lovely to see daffodils in flower.
Thanks again for sharing details of your early season success.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 21/04/2024 at 08:28 »
Hi Michael

During the afternoon I was watching the March Brown Spinners egg laying during the LDO hatch. and later when the March Browns started after 3.30pm I saw a few spent March Brown spinners in the water. The two fish I spotted rising sporadically late afternoon, appeared during the March Browns. the first one took the CDC and Partridge Spider which kind of works as an Emerger, cripple or spinner so I'm usually covering most bases. The other fish wouldn't look at it, I tried Olive dries and emergers and it wouldn't look at them either so I did wonder if it was feeding on terrestrials, however having seen the spinners earlier I thought i'd try one first. I only had spinners in 14-18 sizes so I though i'd try the 14, it was a touch small but the fish took it second drift very confidently, in fact I needed my forceps to get the fly out past the teeth. So the fish definitely wanted it. They were my best 2 fish of the day.
 :z16

The water was nice and clear and I managed to catch this image *smiley-yippee*

Michael Kearney

« Reply #13 on: 21/04/2024 at 12:02 »
Thanks, Sandy. I look out for the spinners of March Browns and LDOs early in the season and carry a few spinner patterns just in case, but I’ve not yet found spinner feeders in April. As your report demonstrates, it is certainly worth attempting to discern the range of food items available at the surface when trout are up and rising and taking time to change fly to give them what they want.
Good to see wild fish in fine condition.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 22/04/2024 at 22:49 »
Enjoyable afternoon on the water today in good company .....  not ideal conditions, quite a brisk/cold wind with a bit of rain thrown in to keep it interesting ...... but there were fish to be caught during the sporadic hatches  :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com