Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Can you...
« on: 01/02/2024 at 20:20 »
Can you 'dye' feathers (white hen or grizzle) with a permanent marker instead of buying lots of capes?

I'm trying some grizzle hen with a blue pro marker and they look excellent but will the colour hold?

Thoughts/ experiences ?!!;!

James Laraway

Re: Can you...
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2024 at 10:40 »
So i think they looks pretty good

soaked a fly using the feather overnight in water and its still blue so maybe it will work as a technique ?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2024 at 11:50 »
Looking good James, I imagine it would hold - there's only one way to find out  *smiley-wink*

« Reply #3 on: 05/02/2024 at 09:17 »
I have done this, and it worked well, I have also used permanent markers on the calf tails and various synthetic fibres.

You can also use permanent markers to tint UV resins. Colour in a spot on a piece of tin foil and then put a bit of resin beside it and mix the two until you get the colour you want.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 05/02/2024 at 09:46 »
i like the idea of tinting the UV resin with the pens - excellent 'hack'

I have actually ordered myself a 'natural' grizzly hen cape so that i can utilise the technique some more without breaking the bank

Magnus Angus

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2024 at 10:08 »
Have you seen Dylon pens - basically marker pens, the pigment is fixed with a little heat.

AND :) some years ago I saw someone dying feathers in tiny batches using a bowl of water and a microwave. or - Phil White would dissolve some dye in a jar of boiling water with some vinegar- add feathers and leave it overnight.

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 28/02/2024 at 11:29 »
here is an attempt with 'pen dying' grizzle hen hackles - claret and blue ordie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com