Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Angus Rutherford

Hello fellow anglers,

I have been fishing the river Don since I was a young loon but primarily focussed on the Salmon and Sea Trout fishing with the odd decent Brown Trout caught as a by-catch whilst fly fishing for salmon.

However, I want to expand my horizons and dive into the world of fly fishing for brown trout, and I wanted to ask some advice from experts.
I've been researching and gearing up for this adventure, and I'd love to hear from those who have experience fishing on the Don.

To start, I'm curious about the best spots along the river for fly fishing. Are there any hidden gems or particular stretches known for their abundance of fish or where I should focus on?

I've heard that the upper reaches of the river are great for trout, while the lower reaches are harder to fish due to the angling pressure put on it by the various angling clubs. Any advice on specific locations or techniques would be greatly appreciated! (I have access to a beat up near Alford and I am a member of Inverurie Angling Club and Aberdeen and District Angling Association)

Moreover, I'm in the process of selecting my gear. What fly patterns have proven successful for you on the River Don?

I've been browsing through various forums and websites, but personal recommendations are always invaluable. Also, any advice on the appropriate rod weight and line setup for this river would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice you can share. Tight lines, and I hope to see some of you on the banks of the River Don soon!

Tight Lines.
Angus

Sandy Nelson

Hi Angus

For a start use the Site map on here and go to our River Don sections. That will answer quite a lot of your questions.
Anything in addition to that will be pretty specific.

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Hi Angus - Welcome to the forum  :z16

I wouldn't worry about the best spots/beats, in my experience there are plenty of cracking trout equally spread out throughout the river system. It's far more important that you focus your time into getting to know the beat/s that you fish, and the habits of the residents.

It usually takes a couple of seasons to get to grips with the Brownies, but you should hopefully be off to a good start as you will have noticed ( when Salmon fishing ) in what areas and conditions the trout tend to rise.

I'm sure you'll get some hints from the other members ( nobody is an expert by the way *smiley-grin* ) but for a good start, explore the 'River Don Fishing' section of the main website via the 'Sitemap' link at the top of this page.

See you on the river  :z16
Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

Oops ...... Sandy beat me to it, younger eyes can type faster  *smiley-grin*

Angus Rutherford

Thanks, both of you!

Will check out the Sitemap and let you know if I get any decent trout this year!

Thanks,
Angus

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com