Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Boswell

Cheap second hand saltwater fly reels
« on: 20/01/2024 at 10:01 »
Having wrecked an expensive reel last year through saltwater sea trout fishing (despite being labelled as having a “sealed drag” and being rinsed and dried religiously after use), I’m looking for a replacement for this summer.

What would folk recommend to keep an eye out for on the second hand market? System 2’s seem to come up fairly frequently and look pretty bombproof.

Thoughts?

Cheers

John Wastle

Re: Cheap second hand saltwater fly reels
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2024 at 17:48 »
Andrew, I use a couple of original Orvis Battenkill Discs for this and they have held up fine so far. Mine are 7/8 but I think that is optimistic, 6/7 (7 at a push) more like it. They are BFR reels like the System II so built to last. I have many system IIs but never exposed them to salt water so can't confirm one way or the other.

John

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2024 at 10:11 »
I use Orvis Encounter IV reels for most of my 'salt water' adventures these days.  Decent arbour, good drag and due the the plastic construction if it gets dropped I'm not going to cry about it too  much. I wash them down and re-oil/grease after every salt water trip and after more than a decade of light use they're still going strong.
When it comes to the drag, if I'm honest, I don't think it really matters as much for UK use as it would in warmer climes. Yes, I've needed a drag, but I've not had to rely on it. Rapid line recovery from a larger arbour and 'ruggedness' or affordability have been more important to me.
The System 2 is an OK reel, I've had them in the past and they are tough.

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2024 at 15:59 »
I saw a System 2 that had been used in the Keys for bone fishing, it was wrecked with corrosion.
No matter what you use just give it a good wash in fresh water and lub after every use.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com