Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Nicol

Their latest press release mentions the Atlantic salmon and its decline. Nice to know it is recognised but will anything be done about it especially from our Governments? Unlikely.

https://www.iucn.org/press-release/202312/freshwater-fish-highlight-escalating-climate-impacts-species-iucn-red-list

Iain Stewart

Re: Salmon now near threatened species according to IUCN
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2023 at 11:09 »
Thanks for sharing Graham,
Not an easy problem to fix as it doesn't appear to be consistent across the countries. I do believe pollution and drainage are a major factor, and as yet we still don't know what impact commercial fishing has on sandeels and salmon themselves out at sea with our super sized fishing vessels nowadays. I also think if you look at South of England for example where many of the steams have gone completely due to water abstraction from water companies these are all contributing and exacerbating the issues.
Good to see that their plight has been recognised and hopefully with a combined effort across the North Sea and North America we can invest more in understanding some of the challenges. Certainly rivers which are focusing on razor bill, seal and mink predation and smolt herding seem to be fairing better than those who don't have the resources to. But that is not a scientific evaluation.
It is an emotive subject and one I am sure will get plenty of posts and discussion.  :z16

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2023 at 16:31 »
Need to wait until all fish are gone then they will want to rewild them at a great cost.
Bob.

Graham Nicol

« Reply #3 on: 14/12/2023 at 17:58 »
My impression is Governments don't really care too much about the environment. Look how many changes we have had with the Environment Secretary in the last 4-5 years; the position is viewed as a poisoned chalice given to someone as a form of punishment. All bodies working towards nature have seen funding cuts remorselessly and we just need to look at the position with the EA and SEPA to corroborate that. Up North it seems that the salmon farming industry has full control of the Government for despite everyone acknowledging the issue with sea lice the Government merely recommends yet another investigation into the industry; classic kicking the can down the road.
In Canada and NW USA if a run of fish is below expectations they do not hesitate to close the rivers. This has been quite frequent with steelhead in recent years. I just can't see that happening in the UK. They prefer to downgrade the river which fails to achieve anything.
Rant over for it is difficult to be optimistic with these clowns running the show

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2023 at 09:40 »
Norway netted around 250,000 invasive pinks this year from river traps, UK rivers seen to have dodged a bullet this year.  i haven't heard of any reported.

Way things are going you would have to think its just a matter of time before our rivers are stuffed with them  :(

Ivor

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: 30/12/2023 at 16:23 »
Goverement is only interested in what will bring them votes and fill there pockets.
What surprises me in a way is all the salmon conservation bodies that are always looking for your cash are silent on this matter.
The only time you see articles in the papers is when Don Stanford is showing pictures of the damaged fish in the sea farms.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com