Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Wader boot screws
« on: 07/12/2023 at 11:44 »
So, some years ago i bought some screws for the bottom of my wading boots by a manufacturer called Kold Kutter ( they do ice screw for bikes, motorbikes...all sorts of things.

They are not like the normal 'smooth' studs but are actually sharp. Eventually they wore down so i just bought some more.

I use them on wading boots but also have some screwed into an old pair of work boots i have for walking the dog in icy conditions.

They are amazing and great value price wise.

I walked last a chap last night who was scooting all over the place on a very icy path last night and he looked in amazement as i just zoomed past without so much as a slip *smiley-lol*

These are the ones i got off ebay from a company called 'waderbootscrews'. Fast service and £6.99 for 30.

Just don't wear them inside....

John Wastle

Re: Wader boot screws
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2023 at 17:48 »
Do you find they hold without the need to glue them in James?

I put a set into a pair of rubber soled boots. I started with 20 and by the end of a morning of interesting wading on the Ness was down to about 6. I was like Scooby Doo running on marbles. I think it may be down to the softness of the sole on that particular boot  I switched to Supatracs and never looked back.

I find the Kold Kutters give really good grip and are  excellent in felt soles.
John

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2023 at 08:10 »
Supatracks are the best and longest lasting I’ve found. I use them both in wading boots with felt soles and in a pair of walking boots when the ground is sheet ice. Again don’t walk indoors with the on.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2023 at 09:35 »
I think i have vibram soles on my wading boots and they never fell out, same with my felt soles.

on my 'work boots' they have a much softer sole and also no issues. Saying that gluing may be a good idea - just incase. I walk on hard frosty ground with them so i suppose there is less chance of them getting 'sucked off' by mud etc..

Do you find they hold without the need to glue them in James?

I put a set into a pair of rubber soled boots. I started with 20 and by the end of a morning of interesting wading on the Ness was down to about 6. I was like Scooby Doo running on marbles. I think it may be down to the softness of the sole on that particular boot  I switched to Supatracs and never looked back.

I find the Kold Kutters give really good grip and are  excellent in felt soles.
John

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #4 on: 11/12/2023 at 09:53 »
I use the kold kutter as well. If i fit them in a rubber sole i use a drill bit slightly bigger than the stud flange and take out a small hole to get the flange below the sole surface and glue the stud thread with superglue as i screw it in then a dab of storm sure over the flange. With Felt soles they sink into the felt so i just give the thread a dab of superglue.

With rubber soles i find 4 studs  in the boot heel can be enough. Excellent studs.

Ivor

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: 14/12/2023 at 16:36 »
Super tracts for me every time. Phoned in the last order at one o'clock and it was here the following morning. Do not know if they are cheaper or more expensive than others but the quality is tops.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com