Dave ...... I can show you "mending your line" when you come over :wink

Mike

Sandy Nelson

Re: Aberfeldy/ Fishing the fly on river tips
« Reply #16 on: 26/03/2008 at 19:51 »
Dave ...... I can show you "mending your line" when you come over :wink

Mike

Yeah right :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike can show you how to mend your line after its been in a tree for the duration of the only hatch of the day :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Dave Mundie

« Reply #17 on: 26/03/2008 at 20:40 »
Soooooo much to try and take in should of tried getting my head round it sooner not just the week before going  :oops

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #18 on: 26/03/2008 at 20:45 »
what rod should i use #5 9ft or #7/8 9.5ft also floater of intermediate :?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #19 on: 26/03/2008 at 20:53 »
9ft 5# will be ideal for a river , floating line Dave.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 26/03/2008 at 23:04 »
Yeah right :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike can show you how to mend your line after its been in a tree for the duration of the only hatch of the day :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Now that ......... was below the belt :z4

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 27/03/2008 at 00:40 »
Funny  -and accurate -  though :z4 :z4 :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 27/03/2008 at 09:56 »
9ft 5# will be ideal for a river , floating line Dave.

Jim

Spot on :z16

Having had an evening to reflect on the post, my big bugbear on the river is avoiding drag
Whether fishing dries or wets, this is why i would recommend fishing the 10-2 'o'clock arc regardless of the flies i were using. Fishing down and across is basically dragging the fly (sorry jim :cry) and as such you will pick up a few small trout who are willing to chase anything that looks like it could be food, but you will spook the rest.
The 10-2 arc depends on the direction of flow, but cast upstream and try to fish the flies without any movement until they get to the end of the arc then a small lift imparts some movement and this can sometimes be a trigger (worth a try anyway). Down and across will work for fishing a sedge hatch :wink so its not totally without merit but for most situations i would try to avoid it, unless you are doing it without drag (i imagine the reason for Jim's 'Mend') problem is you have much less control and a much shorter drift.
Unfortunatley there is going to be a bit more casting, but if you select the water you think looks likely to hold fish and fish these then you wont cast anymore than blind searching :z16

I would also add, Start fishing from the bank, dont wade. There are often some very good fish under the nearside bank (as many as the far side :wink) Only wade into water you have already fished through, look for features like overhangs, rocks and seams in the water where faster water meets slower, changes in depth if visible are good spots especially along the actual change. Weeds are good cover for fish so try to fish along the edges.
I dont think anyone can ever learn how to completely read a river, but its good fun trying :z16

Good luck

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #23 on: 27/03/2008 at 17:39 »

Fishing down and across is basically dragging the fly (sorry jim :cry) and as such you will pick up a few small trout who are willing to chase anything that looks like it could be food, but you will spook the rest.

Well not always (in my experience at least).

I have sometimes been been forced to fish down and across because of the gentle balmy gale that blows downstream over the Don in early April and have picked up a few fish in the 1.5 - 2.5 lb size using that method. But maybe that is a "small trout" to Sandy  :grin. It's also an easier way for a beginner to fish because you can get away with less than perfect presentation and you don't have to keep controlling the slack in the line.

But anyone with any sense wouldn't listen to me because I'm not much more than a beginner myself and Sandy knows at lot more about river fishing than I ever will :wink

Good luck  :z18

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 27/03/2008 at 18:35 »
Irvine what about my next paragraph? :cry

I never said it was wong just not wight :cry if you can help it :wink

As you say
I have sometimes been been forced to fish down and across because of the gentle balmy gale that blows downstream over the Don in early April

But maybe that is a "small trout" to Sandy  :grin.

I wish :roll

But anyone with any sense wouldn't listen to me because I'm not much more than a beginner myself and Sandy knows at lot more about river fishing than I ever will :wink
/quote]

So not true, all advice is good :z16

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #25 on: 27/03/2008 at 20:55 »
Irvine/Sandy as long as i catch i dont mind the size, I'll just have to make do with the drag for now till i learn more.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #26 on: 05/04/2008 at 18:40 »
Well guys only managed to get out on tues and the Tay was well high and fast.
My permit allowed me to fish within Aberfeldy limits and to be honest there was only bout 5 places you could cast trees lined the bank most of the way.

i cast out straight in front of me but before i could even blink the line was gone and the fly skipping the surface along the bank, so needless to say no i didn't catch anything, and it just pi***d down by the bucket load all day  :cry

I took a walk along the bank on Fri morning before we left and the tree branches that was in the water on tues had a good 4 foot of clearance so that shows how big the spate was.

But to be honest as it was my first attempt at river fishing i didn't really know if i was doing it right or wrong, would have been better if i was there with someone who had done it before to give me some real time pointers.

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #27 on: 05/04/2008 at 19:15 »
Dave

I fished the Ericht yesterday in near perfect conditions , olives hatching, nae sign of the trout though. The water was still freezing still a lot of snow melt coming down from the glens.
Fished for Salmon in the morning and trout in the afternoon , never touched a thing, still I enjoyed the day.

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com