Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Aberfeldy/ Fishing the fly on river tips
« on: 23/03/2008 at 14:34 »
Weather depending we'll be taking the caravan to Aberfeldy for a week on the 30th March.

So was just wondering if anyone has stayed down that way and recommend anywhere me and Nicky could go fishing?

Dave

Jim Eddie

Re: Aberfeldy
« Reply #1 on: 23/03/2008 at 15:54 »
Dave

Hre are some fishing links http://www.anglingintayside.co.uk/fishingcentres.asp

here are some other activities http://www.aberfeldy.co.uk/activities.htm

:z18

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 23/03/2008 at 18:06 »
 :z18 Jim great info just hope the weather bears up.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 25/03/2008 at 18:32 »
It looks like i'll prob end up fishing the rivers, i've only been fly fishing on small stillwaters what advice would you give me for the river, Flies(pics if poss) ect?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 25/03/2008 at 20:43 »
Right ....... hopefully everybody will give you a few tips here :z15

To start the ball rolling:
Get some spiders and wet flies and don't stand in the same place all day. Have 2 or 3 casts then move upstream or downstream a few paces and start again :wink

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2008 at 20:50 »
Right ....... hopefully everybody will give you a few tips here :z15

To start the ball rolling:
Get some spiders and wet flies and don't stand in the same place all day. Have 2 or 3 casts then move upstream or downstream a few paces and start again :wink

Cheers
Mike

Would i be right in saying spiders are dry flies?
What sort of wets i got some diawl baches are they any good?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 25/03/2008 at 20:54 »
Hi Dave

If you get time, nip in past the hut and I can go through all the different types of flies with you if you like?

Always easier if you can see them :wink

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 25/03/2008 at 20:57 »
 :z18 Mike will see if i get time i know you'll be away by time i get home from work (4.30ish) so will see if i get time at weekend before we go.

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 25/03/2008 at 21:04 »
:z18 Mike will see if i get time i know you'll be away by time i get home from work (4.30ish) so will see if i get time at weekend before we go.

Dave

No, I am usually there later than that now Dave, hours change with the light :wink

Depends a bit on the weather this week of course, so try giving me a bell before coming over :cool:

Spiders are wet flies and are almost always my first choice, others that you may wish to try would be Black Pennell, Silver Invicta, March Brown, Peter Ross and Hares Ear Nymph.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 26/03/2008 at 06:56 »
Dave

As Mike said traditional wets sizes 10.12. 14, thats not a bad selection , I would add one of my favourites Greenwells Glory, If your new to rivers the easiest and most traditional methods is down and across , cast at an angle of 45 degrees ,upstream mend , let the current bring it round , couple of casts , move a couple of paces and repeat.

Jim 

Dave Mundie

Re: Aberfeldy/ Fishing the fly on river tips
« Reply #10 on: 26/03/2008 at 18:48 »
Jim, So basically i'll be fishing along the opisit bank  :?
What sort of retrieve should i use :?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 26/03/2008 at 19:20 »
Dave not nessecarily , you  can  start of with short casts and the lengthen them, cast at a 45 degree angle downstream , mend the line , so that it does not drag , don't retreive until its swung round in the current , pause for a couple of seconds once its swung round as fish often follow and take on the "dangle" after the pause figure of 8 it and then re-cast. 

What you are trying to do is have the fly act as a natural fly would in the current , thats why  you want to want to avoid drag as this swings the fly round to quickly and in an unatural manner.

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #12 on: 26/03/2008 at 19:26 »
"mend the line" does this mean take up the slack :?

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 26/03/2008 at 19:29 »
Jim

You fishing for salmon? :z4

I'd fish Spiders (funny that) or wets but cast them upstream at about 10 o' clock assuming i'm standing looking at the other bank, i'd fish the arc from 10 o' clock to 2 o'clock then move a pace down or upstream depending on the water, i would prefer to move upstream but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.I doesn't make much odds unless you are in the water amongst the fish, and you probably shouldn't be in there :wink
Mind you if a hatch starts i'd try to match it. Size is most important.

Other than that the tips for the Don on the homepage and the wee chart for flies should do you well on any river north of Birmingham :z16

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 26/03/2008 at 19:43 »
Sandy , well if there happen to be any there  :z4

Down and across is just the easiest method fo a beginner , I would not start with upstream wets or nymphys. This involves 3 or fourtimes as much casting and generally a bit of wading.

Dave no an upstream mend actually puts slack into the line , once you have cast , you kind of flick the line back upstream. 

Maybe this explains it better than I can http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=C0EDzmDRUVwC&pg=PA91&lpg=PA91&dq=%22down+and+across%22+fly+fishing+method&source=web&ots=LRs0HbJRhU&sig=XOUIt-MB09raX8dKmitb7i2wQ0o&hl=en

Cheers

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com