Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan Inglis

Re: Braided Loops - R&D
« Reply #30 on: 02/12/2023 at 13:11 »
I’ve been making my own for years now from 30lb and 50lb braid, touch of super glue above the loop to stop it slipping and I whip them on. Slightly longer is better as it’s easy to cut down to size. Fraying isn’t an issue if it’s longer as you can trim while whipping them on.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 02/12/2023 at 13:26 »
I’ve been making my own for years now from 30lb and 50lb braid, touch of super glue above the loop to stop it slipping and I whip them on. Slightly longer is better as it’s easy to cut down to size. Fraying isn’t an issue if it’s longer as you can trim while whipping them on.
Great stuff Duncan  :)

What weight lines are you using them on?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 02/12/2023 at 13:29 »
For your purposes 20lb Cortland might be the answer for the lighter lines.
Cortland only do their Braided Mono Looping Material product in 30lb and 50lb John.

Going back to fraying:  It's certainly not an issue if you've had a bit of practice with fitting braided loops - but I can remember watching folk trying to fit them out of a packet at the fishery and ending up fraying them all the way to the loop before getting the line in. The product was invariably to blame, not the fitter!

John Wastle

« Reply #33 on: 02/12/2023 at 22:52 »
Mike, the stuff I use is branded as running line. Seems to be the eqivalent of this, which is available in 20lb if you can find a supplier.

https://www.cortlandline.com/products/waxed-braided-mono-shooting-line

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 03/12/2023 at 20:36 »
Mike, the stuff I use is branded as running line. Seems to be the eqivalent of this, which is available in 20lb if you can find a supplier.

https://www.cortlandline.com/products/waxed-braided-mono-shooting-line
Thanks John, I think the newer waxed product may have less strands, I'll do some digging .....

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 08/12/2023 at 12:45 »
So ....... that's things up and running on the website.
And I will maybe update the how to fit step by step guide when I get chance.
The loops will be a mix of Minicons and my own in house loops for a while until I run out of Minicon stock  :z16

Fly line to leader connections are very much down to personal preferences, so I do my best to offer choices.
(1) For those who prefer to craft their own connections - Barrio lines are supplied without loops.
(2) For those who prefer braided loops - I offer braided fly line loops in the accessories section, both fitted and spares.
(3) For those who prefer welded loops - I offer a custom welded loop service in the accessories section.

Terry Coging

Re: Braided Loops - R&D New
« Reply #36 on: 29/12/2023 at 17:09 »
I gave Mikes sample braided loop a good test this afternoon. It was fitted to a new Smallstream #3 and used on my 15' wafting rod. After much bailing I got the boat out for a couple of hours before being blown and rained off. Luckily, being warm, the fish were fairly high in the water (40' deep) and I boated 7 rainbows between 3 and 6lb. The line was just spot on for the wafter, with 18' out loading it perfectly. My only concern with Mikes loop is that the sleeve is thicker than the Roman Moser and I was worried that the top guide may push it off when landing fish. No problem encountered.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 29/12/2023 at 19:10 »
Great stuff Terry  :z16

Certainly not 'warm' in this neck of the woods at the moment!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com