Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ivor Duffus

Re: Braided Loops - R&D
« Reply #15 on: 27/11/2023 at 13:29 »
I just use a nail knot at the end.  Trim the frayed ends back leaving a couple mm. Then use the nail knot tails for a whip finish. couple coats of super glue to finish.

if its on a Salmon line will add another nail knot between the loop and end nail knot. A nail knot compresses the braid into the line so it should never fail.

I use 30lb airflo micro poly backing for the nail knot which is really thin diameter

Ivor

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 27/11/2023 at 14:17 »
Yes, a whipped finish (as John mentioned earlier), or a nail knot, work very well as an alternative braid anchor Ivor  :z16

But for the purposes of this particular R&D - I can't put knots/whipping in a retail packet.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #17 on: 27/11/2023 at 18:20 »
Hi Mike

I liked Minicons as you know. I think they were really designed for lower line-weights. The length was ok by me, never had one fail. I prefer to whip braids on but  for a fast fix tube is fine.

I'm interested in the comment about heavier or stiffer braid as an aid for looping on poly leaders - never considered that point.

I've had issues with simple braid loops, where the tucked leg slipped out. That usually happened while I was attaching the loop but once or twice a loop fell apart when I was fishing. I use a drop of glue, usually superglue, to prevent that.

Magnus

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 27/11/2023 at 18:37 »
Hi Magnus

Yes, I've experienced this with some braided loops as well. I'm finding a full length twin wall construction helps to prevent that.

Cheers
Mike

Fred Hay

« Reply #19 on: 28/11/2023 at 06:29 »
Very neat and I'm impressed that you managed to get the line pushed right up to the loop which is something I find difficult.

Not sure about the pvc or silicon sleeve and usually add a whipping (and a drop of glue) over the 'frayed' end and sometimes half down the braid.

Good effort - I hope you manage to replicate the RM sleeve as they were excellent and ...... the end of double braid did not fray ??

PS: On lines with preformed loops I've started making/using double loop end braid connectors which prevent the cast from cutting the preformed loop and allows you to loop to loop your cast. Saves the main line getting damaged and doesn't seem to cause a hinging issue.  (saw in on a salmon forum and it works well )

Terry Coging

« Reply #20 on: 28/11/2023 at 09:16 »
Thoughts on fraying everybody?

Fraying is very difficult to eliminate on braid, but is it a problem?

If the braided loops are supplied a bit longer, you can slide the sleeve down to the length that suits your personal preference (we have established that some folks like their braided loops short and others would prefer them to be a bit longer) snip off the excess braid behind the sleeve (by fraying the braid up to the sleeve and snipping) and then slide the sleeve a smidgen further to finish it off.

Here's a twin walled braided loop, made as above, snipped to desired length behind a silicone sleeve.
Nothing new - but this is all about keeping things simple and reliable.

Mike - That's exactly how I fit the RM loops. With my style of fishing the loop is going in and out of the top ring regularly due to me using very long leaders. I don't use any adhesive and never had a RM sleeve push off.
Something worth noting - make sure that the line is absolutely grease free before pushing it into the braid. I once fitted a RM loop to a line that had been in use and when pulling it to tighten up, it slipped off. Then I realised that the line had been cleaned and lubricated prior to fitting. Degreasing solved the problem.

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 28/11/2023 at 09:32 »
Interesting. I always position the silicon tubing in the middle of the braid then put a wee but of superglue on both sides for 'extra traction'. This does leave annoying frayed bits at the end thought ( even cutting with fine scissors wont get rid of the 'bits' ). I think i will try having the silicone over the end like shown in the photos  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 28/11/2023 at 13:55 »
Hi James

If you are worried about not adding any glue, you could leave a couple of mm of frayed braid and then apply a tiny amount of glue to the frays before sliding the sleeve over them.

But in my experience, with silicone sleeves, there is no need to apply any glue  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 28/11/2023 at 14:09 »
Not sure about the pvc or silicon sleeve and usually add a whipping (and a drop of glue) over the 'frayed' end and sometimes half down the braid.
Hi Fred

Absolutely, whipping works well, we can always explore improving the basic item to our own satisfaction/preference  :z16

I wouldn't add anything half way along the braid though, as this would cancel out the constriction/grip of the braid behind it.

I've seen the double end loop connectors on salmon lines, I think the basic principle is that a braided loop will cut into a welded loop less than a nylon leader one will.

John Wastle

« Reply #24 on: 28/11/2023 at 20:30 »
Mike, that loop looks the business to me. Good length and loop size.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 28/11/2023 at 21:39 »
Mike, that loop looks the business to me. Good length and loop size.
Thanks John  :z16

I just need to work out if I can make them in reasonable numbers to that quality.

Ian Bell

« Reply #26 on: 29/11/2023 at 08:18 »
Hi Fred

I wouldn't add anything half way along the braid though, as this would cancel out the constriction/grip of the braid behind it.

Exactly this, the harder the loop is pulled the tighter it grips, the sleeve is only there to keep it in place!
Easy to push it off, almost impossible to pull it off‼️
PS. nice, neat double loops Mike!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 29/11/2023 at 10:00 »
PS. nice, neat double loops Mike!
Thanks Ian  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 30/11/2023 at 17:08 »
The best allround one I have come across is 30lb Cortland which is slim and supple and works on most line sizes.
I've been trying some of the 30lb Cortland today John  :z16

It's a really nice product, it makes great loops and is very easy to work with, but I find it a wee bit 'heavy duty' for light lines?
I'd say more suited to #7 lines and heavier, but absolutely perfect for Switch/Salmon lines!

Cheers
Mike

John Wastle

« Reply #29 on: 30/11/2023 at 19:34 »
Mike, I take your point. I am ok with it on lighter lines.  As a DIYer if necessary I can pull out a few strands (but not too many) to reduce bulk before making the loop. For your purposes 20lb Cortland might be the answer for the lighter lines.

Cortland is in a league apart from the other braids I have (Lureflashd Masterline and something in a coil someone gave me). Thinner lb for lb and less prone to fraying.
Cheers
John

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com