Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Braided Loops - R&D
« on: 18/11/2023 at 11:14 »
Roman Moser has now retired, his Minicon loops are no longer available wholesale, so I guess existing stocks in the shops will start to dry up over the coming months.

That's one of my projects for the winter, I'm playing with braid to see what I can come up with as an alternative to go with my lines.

Have you any thoughts on length, or any other feature that you'd like to see in a braided loop?

Mike Barrio

Re: Braided Loops - R&D
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2023 at 13:33 »
Off to a good start with the basics  :)

I need a cleaner cut and to go through some tubing samples next.

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2023 at 15:18 »
Can't fault the Minicon loops Mike. If you can make something as good I would certainly recommend them.
Not had a failed Minicom since I started using them about 10 years ago.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2023 at 15:32 »
Have you any thoughts on length, or any other feature that you'd like to see in a braided loop?
Loved the tubing on the Moser Minicon, only dislike was length of the braid, I prefer the braid to be just that smidgen longer.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2023 at 16:38 »
Loved the tubing on the Moser Minicon, only dislike was length of the braid, I prefer the braid to be just that smidgen longer.
Thanks Hamish - just the kind of feedback I'm looking for  :z16

Have a look at one if you've got one please, and let me know what you think the ideal length would be?

Cheers
Mike

John Wastle

« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2023 at 20:48 »
Your loops look along the right lines Mike.  Constructed the same way as I do.  A bit longer perhaps. ⁸I make mine about 1 1/4" and butt the fly line right up to the loop.

I don't use tubing on any braided loops. I find whipping neater and more reliable. That said the the thin flexible tubing on minicons is the best I have seen. I also avoid superglue which sets stiff. I prefer Aquasure, or flexible waterproof contact adhesive worked into the braid

There is a lot of variation in stifness of the nylon used in braids. Some of the stiffer ones don't form as neat a loop but are good if attaching a polyleader. The best allround one I have come across is 30lb Cortland which is slim and supple and works on most line sizes. If I need it to be a bit stiffer I work a little Aquasure into it.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2023 at 21:04 »
Have a look at one if you've got one please, and let me know what you think the ideal length would be?
I do, but they're well hidden at mo - but loosely, twice the length would be about right  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 19/11/2023 at 16:04 »
Yep, a bit longer would be good Hamish, but they did vary considerably. I used to sort my stock orders and discard the shortest ones when I was straightening them.

Yep, I try to get the line right up to the loop too John. What type of flexible waterproof contact adhesive do you use?

John Wastle

« Reply #8 on: 19/11/2023 at 18:19 »
 Mike I'm using Gorilla Glue contact adhesive.   Bostik leather repair glue is another.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 19/11/2023 at 19:43 »
Mike I'm using Gorilla Glue contact adhesive.   Bostik leather repair glue is another.
I'll have to give them a try on my personal lines John  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #10 on: 21/11/2023 at 08:40 »
As with all tackle, we have our own preferences. I find the RM braid length just right - but I can always cut down a longer one.
I'll make it a topic for our weekly club meetings and with my fly tying club. If you post me a sample I can show it around before trying it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 21/11/2023 at 10:19 »
I'll send you a sample when I'm happy with them Terry  :z16

Still got more base products (braid/tubing) to arrive and experiment with, so it might be a while yet.

Cheers
Mike

Ian Bell

« Reply #12 on: 27/11/2023 at 09:37 »
When the braid sleeve hits the top ring it’s possible to push the sleeve off if it’s not glued!
   I find a tiny bit of “LOON - Loon UV Knot Sense” works for me!
Use a magnifying glass and a toothpick to get a smooth transition before using a uv torch.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 27/11/2023 at 09:58 »
Yep, that works Ian  :z16

My experience is that this can happen with the pvc sleeves, but silicone sleeves seem to have a better hold and don't slip on me.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 27/11/2023 at 10:58 »
Thoughts on fraying everybody?

Fraying is very difficult to eliminate on braid, but is it a problem?

If the braided loops are supplied a bit longer, you can slide the sleeve down to the length that suits your personal preference (we have established that some folks like their braided loops short and others would prefer them to be a bit longer) snip off the excess braid behind the sleeve (by fraying the braid up to the sleeve and snipping) and then slide the sleeve a smidgen further to finish it off.

Here's a twin walled braided loop, made as above, snipped to desired length behind a silicone sleeve.
Nothing new - but this is all about keeping things simple and reliable.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com