Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Winter Fly Tying
« Reply #15 on: 12/12/2023 at 16:39 »
Onto sedges now. Been playing with my existing pattern and trying to use snowshoe and simplify it some more, heavily inspired by some of the Scandinavian tyers on Instagram.. I’ve had a few goes at this now but I’m finally happy that this is the ideal sedge so I only need to carry one. It’s an emerger/adult/spent and even looks like a good upwing emerger.  Floats brilliantly with the spun snowshoe and ultra dry dubbing mix.
This is a size 16 5060 hook.

I’m going to tie it in 12-18 and give it a good test this season. Looks spot on to me, here's a wee video to show the profile better.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 21/12/2023 at 20:39 »
Iron blues tonight

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 10/01/2024 at 12:43 »
I got some goose biots today, again some Scandinavian inspiration.
So I’ve been playing with a loop wing style CDC emerger pattern. I like the way this one has turned out. Took a few attempts but the proportions are good for 14-18 size flies.

Did some in olive, flame and golden olive

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 10/01/2024 at 14:15 »
Having the new magnifier lamp is proving brilliant. Definitely re sparked my love of flytying.  It’s fantastic to be able to tie small and neat again.
This is an 18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 10/01/2024 at 17:11 »
That’s my new Fly box now full.
All the patterns I ever use in the right sizes and colours.
One box to cover all my dries and emergers (there’s a wee one with nymphs and wallet for streamers that hide in my waders )

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #20 on: 10/01/2024 at 20:03 »
That’s a lovely well filled box hombre!
I have a similar topped up Loop compartment box; the thought of it drifting downstream persuaded me to put a paracord lanyard on it.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 10/01/2024 at 21:28 »
That looks awesome Kerry.
My box was a gift from a mate who came up for a few days a couple of years ago. I thought it was too nice to use.
This winter I decided it’s exactly the box I should be using, so set about filling it up  *smiley-tongue-out*
Any excuse to tie a few flies.  :z16 I’m really enjoying having less rods to make, things are back to pre pandemic numbers. So I decided I’d fill the box with all the flies I use over the course of the season. It came in a really nice pouch which should be able to hook into a necklace thing which I’m going to look at .

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 19/01/2024 at 14:50 »
Saw a cool Griffiths gnat/buzzer variant on Instagram yesterday.
Had a wee go today. This is a size 20. So should work a treat when they are after small black stuff

Also been watching some of a Robert Smiths  little videos, I really like them, I noticed in his dirty dozen spiders he had one with a green tail . Got me thinking having also seen Davie McPhail cdc sedge spider . So did some playing until I was happy with the style and proportions.
Here’s a blended cdc and Partridge egg laying caddis spider

I reckon that has to work  :z16

David Crosson

« Reply #23 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:42 »
Not sure if i posted a photo of fly in wrong area?   Learning the neighborhood, is this where i should post fly pictures ?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:43 »
Couple of crackers Sandy, I enjoy Robert's videos too  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 19/01/2024 at 16:44 »
Not sure if i posted a photo of fly in wrong area?   Learning the neighborhood, is this where i should post fly pictures ?

Absolutely fine where it is David  :z16

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #26 on: 20/01/2024 at 21:46 »
Love that blended cdc and Partridge egg laying caddis spider; just looks right!
Could be termed a CDC Jingler maybe?
I shall tie some up for sure.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #27 on: 20/01/2024 at 22:46 »
Decided to have a wee play around with some Teal this morning and came up with the below.

:z18

Steven.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 20/01/2024 at 22:51 »
Nice one Steven, I really like that  >)

Looks like a hares ear body and holo tinsel rib?

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #29 on: 21/01/2024 at 00:29 »
Nice one Steven, I really like that  >)

Looks like a hares ear body and holo tinsel rib?

Cheers Mike 👍

And it is indeed. It just seems to have all the bits you need without any of the bits you don't.

:z18

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com