Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gareth Williams

Advice for beginner please
« on: 22/09/2023 at 11:41 »
Hello. Apologies if this is not the correct place to be asking. After extensive time researching this I'm still a bit confused.

My family will be spending a week in Scotland from Oct 20-27. My daughter and I are just starting out as anglers.

Can anyone please provide some advice on where would be good to fish, as beginners, at that  time of year.

We will be staying near the river Affric/Loch Bhrinn A' Mheadhoin for a few days and close to Perth for a few days, but happy to travel away from those areas if necessary.

Any suggestions regarding required permits etc will also be appreciated.

Thanks. I'm annoyed I'm only just starting this rewarding pastime as a 47 year old!

Gareth

Mike Barrio

Re: Advice for beginner please
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2023 at 13:47 »
Hi Gareth

Welcome to the forum  :z16

The brown trout season closes on October 6th on most rivers and lochs, so you will probably be looking at rainbow trout fishing at a stocked fishery at that time of year.

I don't know the areas that you mention well, so perhaps somebody else will be able to offer some ideas.

Best wishes
Mike

Gareth Williams

« Reply #2 on: 22/09/2023 at 16:32 »
Thanks very much Mike.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2023 at 19:46 »
I wrote a longer message and my internet crapped out.
In short, Mike is right - only stocked waters open by that time here near Glen Affric. Within a reasonable distance there are a few stocked waters open and some instructors and guides have other stocked waters available. Google is your friend and will also reveal opportunities around Perth, which are likely to be more numerous.

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com