Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fly Line Colours
« on: 14/09/2023 at 16:08 »
It has always been difficult to keep everybody happy with fly line colours   :z8

In my experience - I really don't think it matters to the fish.

But it does appear to be a confidence thing for some of us ( personal preferences ) and I do think confidence matters.

What are your thoughts? How important is fly line colour to you?

Duncan Inglis

Re: Fly Line Colours
« Reply #1 on: 14/09/2023 at 21:14 »
After having fish spook when using a bright orange Wulff TT line I think in certain conditions it does matter, subtle is better.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 14/09/2023 at 21:39 »
In my experience it makes no difference

« Reply #3 on: 15/09/2023 at 07:01 »
I have never noticed any real difference.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 15/09/2023 at 09:15 »
I’ve used all sorts of colours over the years and have not noticed a difference during fishing. However a bright line helped with detection of takes at distance when nymphing in Durness. And of all the places I fish if I was going to spook fish with the line that’s where it would be the most obvious with the water clarity up there.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 15/09/2023 at 09:24 »
I prefer orange as most folk know.
It helps me find a fly on the water if I loose sight of it and is easier for bite detection when using wets.
I fish mostly close range and never have issues spooking fish with lines. Drag, Heavy footfall or standing high on the horizon line, now…… that’s a different story

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2023 at 12:51 »
Having used fly lines of many different colours, I really don't think it matters a jot what colour it is.
I don't dispute that fish get spooked by fly lines, but I am unconvinced that colour has much to do with it.
More important to me is that I can see the line when fishing and when casting that it simply 'works'.

H

Dave Bell

« Reply #7 on: 16/09/2023 at 10:10 »
The floating line I use is a Barrio Small Stream you’ll be pleased to hear Mike, as you know it’s an off white colour and if there are any issues with spooking the fish then I have to take responsibility for them and not the fly line. Whether it be colour or anything else. It casts very well even in my fairly inexperienced but well instructed hands, thanks Hamish. The only other line I regularly use is an intermediate glass line which has also proved to be very productive both in a casting and catching fish sence. Particularly on still water. So I guess my opinion on the subject would be colour of fly line is personal preference but doesn’t effect the fish, or in my case the trout. Along the same lines I’m always trying to build my stock of flies and oh course base my choices on many things but ultimately what I see through my human eyes is a big factor. I try to use what I know though my own experience and listen to more experienced fisherman too, sgain thanks Hamish  and some other good fishermen who have been kind enough to share their knowledge with an inexperienced Brummy Highlander. The wider fishing community, has in my experience been very encouraging and a big factor in the joy that fishing has brought into my life, albeit fairly late. Like most important things in life, mine anyway, marriage, fatherhood and now fishing has arrived relatively late, so it’s always a steep learning curve for me. I’ve always been a  very lucky lad though and have a wonderful family, including my wife and 9 year old daughter who are the twin loves of my life and the only things that can remotely compete with fishing. I was also lucky enough to meet Hamish, through my daughter and his son bring in the same class at school. Hamish was kind enough to give up many Sunday mornings teaching me to cast in the School playing field and many enjoyable times since then at the Loch side guiding me to piscatorial success. Many a coffee has been also drunk during discussions about, “the  dark side”,  aka how to get the better of trout tactics! As Hamish pointed out, golfers don’t think twice about taking golfing lessons, but many fishermen are self taught, or at least learn from their dad, other family member or mate. Lessons from a qualified casting and fishing instructor are invaluable, particularly if, like me, the learning curve is steep! Learning say fin the water, without the distractions of trying to catch fish, for casting at least, is also a good idea! Learning wig one one who really knows what they’re doing is also very valuable. I did also receive some wise words from one of the gentlemen who work in J Grahams inInverness, so told me to remember that all fishermen are idiots but all golfers are idiots too, but they are idiots that can’t fish!  As a man who used to play golf thst now fishes, I’ll leave you to make up your own minds as to what that makes me! Tight lines.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com