Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Yorkshire adventure
« on: 02/09/2023 at 12:26 »
Despite spending the week in Lancashire, I managed to get a few days fishing and because of the water conditions we ended up in Yorkshire.

Day 1.

Ken took me to the Aire on Wednesday and it was a different kind of fishing being a small stream, gave me a great chance to try out my Sakura 703 properly

Amazing wee river, a nice steady hatch of BWO's and small dark olives meant dryfly would work,

Not many rising fish so prospecting was the way forward, some nice surprises too

Finding a slightly deeper run with a foam covered back eddy, I switched to a wee nymph and dropped it on the seam, another awesome surprise

All in a fantastic day in great company on an amazing wee river

Sandy Nelson

Re: Yorkshire adventure
« Reply #1 on: 02/09/2023 at 12:37 »
Day 2 was to be for Grayling, which I don't get the chance for very often, despite it holding a special place in my heart.

Chris took me out this time, first stop the river Hodder

The hotspots weren't producing due to the coloured water, so a move up to the upper Ribble to find some fishable water was in order

More like home this one. the reccomended nymphing technique wasn't doing much for me so when I spotted a couple of risers in the fast water I switched to dry and back into my comfort zone.

Box ticked :z16 so now with the pressure off I fished it the way I would usually approach the Don.  turned out to be a good plan with plenty wee ones and a really nice one

A stunning looking fish which decided to sit along the side of the weed and recover.

Lots of damsels flitting around too and I managed to catch this one laying its eggs on the weeds

After a wee wander downstream, the next rising fish turned out to be a another first for me.

A wee chub and the first of many from a weeded corner, never seen a chub before, so this was really cool and a great way to finish off a couple of fantastic days.

Huge thanks to Ken and Chris for taking me out, some cracking browns, some beautiful grayling and the chub, on 3 very different rivers in some beautiful surroundings.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/09/2023 at 13:58 »
Great stuff Sandy, a good variety of water and some cracking fish, I'm sure that was fun to explore  >)

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 02/09/2023 at 15:40 »
Wowzers

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2023 at 16:32 »
A lovely post that Sandy, its great to explore new places like that........ *smiley-love*

Yorkshire needs to be on my bucket list now I think....North Country Spiders, :-)

Steven

« Reply #5 on: 06/09/2023 at 19:30 »
Great photos; it sounds like a nice couple of days fishing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com