Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Hart

River Coe (Glencoe)
« on: 01/09/2023 at 10:17 »
Heading over to the west coast this weekend on the bikes for a lads night of camping and " :z18 " . We're staying at the red squirrel campsite which is right on the river coe. I will of course have a selection of rods with me...I'm just curious if anyone else on here has fished the area before? All I can find online are a few posts on another forum from around 10 years ago saying that apparently the salmon fishing had stopped. To be honest, I'd rather be trying for a Seatrout anyway or some nice west coast brownies.

I'll update this post with my findings after this weekend anyway  :z16

Andrew Boswell

Re: River Coe (Glencoe)
« Reply #1 on: 01/09/2023 at 11:52 »
There’s a Glencoe angling club which is more of a syndicate I think.

I emailed the river bailiff with the same question a few years back and basically got told there’s no day tickets because there’s very little to catch.

Matt Hart

« Reply #2 on: 01/09/2023 at 13:03 »
Ahh....that's unfortunate,  I might see if I can get a refund and change the campsite then  *smiley-funny* . That's given me something to do at work this afternoon at least  :X2

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2023 at 13:49 »
I would head in the Lochgilphead/Dunoon direction and see what’s available around there. Fyne Tackle on the Main Street sells permits for local rivers/lochs.

Or if you were after Salmon/ST try around Dalmally and Oban for the Orchy and hill lochs.

https://www.obanandlorn-anglingclub.co.uk/

Matt Hart

« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2023 at 14:49 »
I would go further afield if I was in the car and was over for the whole weekend of fishing...but it's mainly going to be a bike run, so was hoping to get somewhere to camp that we could fish. That's why that red squirrel site looked good. We may still end up there anyway and just not get much fishing done  :z8 . It'll be worth taking the roads anyway as they just strap to the side of my rucksack and they're not heavy.

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #5 on: 01/09/2023 at 16:44 »
What about Sands campsite at Gairloch? They have an on-site spate river, and a trout loch as well?

https://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/fishing.html

Matt Hart

« Reply #6 on: 05/09/2023 at 09:08 »
What about Sands campsite at Gairloch? They have an on-site spate river, and a trout loch as well?

https://www.sandscaravanandcamping.co.uk/fishing.html

That's one I hadn't heard of before, I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next trip thanks!

As for the Coe, I didn't even bother setting up a rod  *smiley-funny* . Although it was a beautiful setting, and there were a couple of rising fish...the river was barely a trickle. You could see that in the spring time with the snow melt it would be a proper river, but at this point in time it was next to non-existent. I had a wander down from the campsite to see if I could find some deeper holes but there weren't really any until much further down (that I spotted from the roadside, too far to bother walking with the lack of time that we had there).

John Wastle

« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2023 at 15:28 »
Many years ago you could get a permit to fish the upper river and a boat on the small weedy loch in the glen. When I fished there (80s) the loch was full of modest brownies runs were still decent. There were a few good  spots in Loch Leven where sea trout would turn up whilst mackerel fishing  :X2

Sands is a superb campsite with a great location in the dunes and good on site facilities. I don't think the campsite fishing is up to much but the Gairloch AC and Poolewe Estate lochs are very close by. We have visited the last 3 years for family hols and always enjoyed.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com