Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Rod Breaks!
« on: 21/03/2008 at 21:14 »
Hi folks :cool:

You wouldn't believe how many rods I've seen snap or shatter over the last fortnight :shock
What is going on? :z8

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Rod Breaks!
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2008 at 21:21 »
Any particular manufacturer Mike ? Its not as if its been down to cold weather, its been reasonably mild for the time of year.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2008 at 21:51 »
Any particular manufacturer Mike ? Its not as if its been down to cold weather, its been reasonably mild for the time of year.

:z18

Jim

No Jim, they have been rods from 3 or 4 of the most popular brands :shock

All were tip sections if I remember correctly :z6

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2008 at 22:17 »
Did heavy flies come into it at all... possibly... maybe.... :?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2008 at 22:25 »
Did heavy flies come into it at all... possibly... maybe.... :?

Possibly Hamish, or maybe the use of intermediate or sinking lines ....... or maybe my fish :shock

I don't know why, but the rod breakage problem seems to be getting worse over the last 2 - 3 years :z6

Mike

Dave Gordon

« Reply #5 on: 21/03/2008 at 23:16 »
My Advice:
Never use an angel when it is too cold, or hot, or sunny, or wet. Or too dry, watch dry days, or windy, those can be bad too.
Never use them if it is snowing, or frosty, as they get too cold, but watch sunny days, as they get far too hot.
Watch for flys hitting them, as that breaks them, and never let a fish pull too hard, as they really do not like that.
Casting is bad for them, they can bend badly, but never leave them straight  too long:!!!

Apart from that they are perfect, except maybe the colour,.....perfect but for that, and perhaps the price.

D

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 21/03/2008 at 23:18 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 22/03/2008 at 00:48 »
  :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 22/03/2008 at 08:52 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 22/03/2008 at 09:02 »
Back to the original subject though

Are these mostly mid range rods? or are they cheaper/dearer ones
It would be interesting to see if they are "Related" products :wink
Then it would be a QC issue and not much of a surprise, otherwise its an interesting trend and like Hamish i would be suspecting the flies, fast rods and goldheads dont really mix well, its such a pity that most of the Mags (except the proper one) seem to push this concept. :z6

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 22/03/2008 at 12:45 »
Dave,
you don't know how close to the truth you are on that one!!!! A chap I used to drink with in the Midmar was given an Angel for his 50th. Took it to Belise with him for the holiday of a lifetime, put it together on the flats, waggled it. and it snapped!! He has had it replaced 3 times now!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 22/03/2008 at 13:08 »
As most of you know, many rods are rolled in the same factories, and its not just fly rods that have been breaking. Some of the carp and Pike forumns have had similar threads, and dare I say it, one of the makes causing concern is "British"..well..was until Hardy took it over..if you know what I mean?  :z8 They also have another make under the Hardy banner that does carp rods, and they have also been breaking.

Maybe there is a problem with the carbon cloth???

This is one of the reasons why I only build on certain blanks coz I have never had one let me done. Might be a bit more expensive, but I think its worth it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 22/03/2008 at 17:58 »
Back to the original subject though

Are these mostly mid range rods? or are they cheaper/dearer ones
It would be interesting to see if they are "Related" products :wink
Then it would be a QC issue and not much of a surprise, otherwise its an interesting trend and like Hamish i would be suspecting the flies, fast rods and goldheads dont really mix well, its such a pity that most of the Mags (except the proper one) seem to push this concept. :z6

Sandy

Mainly mid to upper ranges Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 22/03/2008 at 19:54 »
So chances are ,they are modern fast actions then, FLIES  :z3

Amazing how many people would benefit from a decent mid action rod with the type of fishing they do i suppose this is probably why older rods were broken less often.

I think advertising has a lot to answer for, casting and fishing are not always good bed fellows. :z6
Odd statement but true

Sandy

DJG1984

« Reply #14 on: 19/03/2011 at 22:14 »
Bump.

Evening folks, my Gordon 2 rod snapped halfway up the tip section today (gutted) i was at Loch Insch, just getting started really when i went to cast out it just went. At first i thought the top section had just slipped out but it broke. I should  have a replacement section by monday evening.

Charlie at Loch Insch gave me a shot of one of his rods for the afternoon, i caught 1 rainbow around the 2lb mark on a cats whisker.

Dave.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com