Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: “Loch Style” Rods
« Reply #30 on: 28/09/2023 at 14:18 »
Nice - looking forward to trying this Sandy  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #31 on: 29/09/2023 at 19:22 »
Sandy, I am extremely interested to see what you come up with, it might be just the ticket for the boat next season.

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #32 on: 06/10/2023 at 19:22 »
What size grip do folk think is right for a Lochstyle rod?

I usually make a grip 6” on a 9’ or below rod and go 6.5” if someone asks for a larger grip, these work better for folk in my experience.
7” is a standard off the shelf size. Just wondering if there is any mileage in perhaps going 7.5” or even 8” as it’s an 11’ rod

Any thoughts?

Hamish Young

« Reply #33 on: 07/10/2023 at 10:33 »
Are you considering the fitment of a small 'fighting butt' Sandy  :?
I ask as finding the balance on a 11' rod can be tricky and in my experience reel weight and general mass in the bottom of the rod is generally helpful.... I'm not talking loads of weight, just enough. Also, your build is likely to be more about quality than most mainstream 11' rods I've picked up, I imagine you'd be looking at lower weight components, minimal whipping and 'all that is required' in epoxy compared to most other builds. If that is a reasonable assumption, then ultimately your rod should be less middle to tip heavy than many an equivalent making the cork size perhaps less critical than it might otherwise be.
So, without the 'wee butt' then I would opt for a longer cork handle. With the butt, then 7" would most likely be fine.

H

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #34 on: 07/10/2023 at 14:14 »
My Intention was to use a 1" butt or a 1.5" butt. I have both.
Im going to to use single leg black pearl recoils for the guides to keep the build weight as low as possible. But I could use a heavier reel seat to help with balance.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 07/10/2023 at 15:14 »
I really liked the handle on the previous Lochstyle, it felt just right to me 👍

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #36 on: 15/10/2023 at 22:08 »
7” handle with 1 1/2” butt works for me  :z18

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #37 on: 16/10/2023 at 11:05 »
I really liked the handle on the previous Lochstyle, it felt just right to me 👍

Same here! I won't be letting my Loch style go any time soon. Its ideal for me on the boat.

🍻

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: 16/10/2023 at 14:19 »
Excellent  :z16

That was my thoughts, I’m pretty sure the original is a 7” full wells with a 1.5” butt.

Might have it wrapped this week  *smiley-wink*

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #39 on: 16/10/2023 at 16:07 »
Excellent  :z16

That was my thoughts, I’m pretty sure the original is a 7” full wells with a 1.5” butt.

Might have it wrapped this week  *smiley-wink*

Sandy,

I can easily confirm for you when I get home if you don't have an original lying around?

Cheers,

Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 21/10/2023 at 09:06 »
I don't have an original, but i have stacked the cork up as a 7" grip and it looks about right.
Should have the prototype finished by the end of next week. The first coat of epoxy is already done.

Not sure if anyone has scope for fishing it now??? if you do let me know and we can start its journey around a few folk to get it tested out and get some feedback.
I already know which configuration i prefer on grass with the rings taped on, will be interesting to see if it feels any different now its wrapped properly.

:z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 23/10/2023 at 18:21 »
I'll be doing the odd day of stocky bashing, so happy to test (with limitations, obviously) on a trip.

H

Steven Kidd

« Reply #42 on: 31/10/2023 at 11:50 »
Interested in this one Sandy...

Happy to dangle it from a boat out at Delgatie, :-)

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #43 on: 04/11/2023 at 11:57 »
Finally got a weather window to turn the cork.
So I have a finished prototype Lochstyle ready for testing. Need to find a tube to fit it now.
2 Butts, makes for two quite different rods. I’m really pleased with the weight balance. And it’s great on grass with both butts. Will be interesting to see which folk prefer.

So I suppose if we make a list of who wants to take it fishing then I can send to the first one and then you can send it between yourselves until everyone is done. Then I’ll collate the feedback and we can discuss further.
It’s been built with spare bits I had lying about so I want it used properly to make sure it’s a good rod  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #44 on: 04/11/2023 at 12:04 »
So far I have
Hamish
Eddie
Steven S
Steven K
James

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com