Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andrew Boswell

“Loch Style” Rods
« on: 29/07/2023 at 11:02 »
So having moved back from the Shire to Inverness, and with multiple lochs now on my doorstep (and included on the local Association tickets), I’d like to get my hands on a rod for traditional “loch style” fishing.

As a tackle tart, I’ve got lots of tippy 10’ #7s and bendy 8’ #4’s and the like, but nothing in the 10’ #5 group. My wife has also allocated me a tackle grotto in the new house which needs filled.

Could I have some recommendations for a longer rod, capable of casting a team of 3 flies please? I prefer a medium action over the modern pokers - the Winston B2X I bought from Irvine recently is spot on.

Something like this perhaps?

Mike Barrio

Re: “Loch Style” Rods
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2023 at 11:20 »
What about the Daiwa Whisker 11' 3" that Steven has in the for sale section?

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2023 at 11:26 »
Thanks Mike - I had asked Steven about it, but it lacks a “fighting butt” which I prefer in rods >9’. Longer rods that just end in the reel seat look “awkward” to me  :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/07/2023 at 12:07 »
it lacks a “fighting butt”
Yes, I know what you mean.

I reckon there is maybe a 'Trout Spey' rod out there that would make a good Loch Style rod, if you could find one that had a medium action and that loaded nicely with a #5 line.
It would need a bit of research though, as the rod ratings can be tricky, a #3 rod needing an #8 line to load it for example.

Liking the mobile screen shots in your posts by the way  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #4 on: 29/07/2023 at 13:46 »
The other option of course is to go down the Custom build route - but with the cost of rods now, “preloved” would be my first choice. The problem with older rods however is that a broken tip consigns the rest of the rod to holding up  the sweetpeas (unless it’s a Sage, but even then a replacement section is pricey).

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 30/07/2023 at 15:07 »
Nice one Andrew - I've just placed a bid on an 'old skool' rod  *smiley-lol*

John Wastle

« Reply #6 on: 31/07/2023 at 19:40 »
Andrew, If I was after a traditional lochstyle rod I would like to get my hands on a Cadence 11' #6 to try.

Secondhand I would be looking for a Hardy Marksman Drifter which was made in 10' and 11' versions (5 &6wt if I recall).

I have gone route of using a 10/11' 4wt river nymph rod for short lochstyle with 10' #6wts for pulling intermediates and sinkers. I'll still occasionlly use a 10' #7 for heavy sunk line, lure fishing and loch salmon.

John

Steven Kidd

« Reply #7 on: 31/07/2023 at 20:44 »
Hello,

My loch style rod of choice these days is an 11ft 5wt Bloke XL50.  I bought the blank and built that one myself, its excellent to fish with and paired with a GT125, it is brilliant.

Steven

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #8 on: 01/08/2023 at 07:56 »
Andrew, If I was after a traditional lochstyle rod I would like to get my hands on a Cadence 11' #6 to try.

Secondhand I would be looking for a Hardy Marksman Drifter which was made in 10' and 11' versions (5 &6wt if I recall).

I have gone route of using a 10/11' 4wt river nymph rod for short lochstyle with 10' #6wts for pulling intermediates and sinkers. I'll still occasionlly use a 10' #7 for heavy sunk line, lure fishing and loch salmon.

John

That Hardy looks like a great contender - if only we could rewind back to 2012 for a bargain!

John Wastle

« Reply #9 on: 01/08/2023 at 10:04 »
I  know a couple of people who bought them then. I wish I had too!

« Reply #10 on: 03/08/2023 at 08:09 »
I had a couple of the Taniwha 10ft 3wt and 4wt graphite blanks built. Excellent rods, and ideal for loch fishing. Also didn't break the bank.

James Laraway

« Reply #11 on: 03/08/2023 at 09:53 »
I had wondered if their  'euro nymphing' rods were any good for 'lock style' fishing....

I didn't buy one as i didn't know if the action on them was the same as a 'normal rod'

I had a couple of the Taniwha 10ft 3wt and 4wt graphite blanks built. Excellent rods, and ideal for loch fishing. Also didn't break the bank.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 17/08/2023 at 14:16 »
Euronymph rods generally have too soft a tip to be really good for lochstyle, this is what i've discovered as i've been exploring what might actually work.

The original Barrio Lochstyle was actually a 10' 8" blank so what i'd like to know is what length would people want a lochstyle rod to be?

10', 10'6" or 11' or something else?

I will be getting a UK made blank, over the winter, done especially for a lochstyle rod, length and line rating are a starting point, i was thinking 11' for a 5/6 being about right but what is everyones thoughts? when i start i will have some opportunity to adjust section actions too to make something that really does tick the boxes.

What would you want it to be in terms of action, length and line weight, number of sections (this affects the cost so is a variable)

Cheers

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 17/08/2023 at 15:55 »
11' for a #5 gets my vote 👍

Although it could be argued that the size of the angler can play a part also.

With my ape like knuckle dragger arm length a I work the Bob on a 9' just as well as a certain other family member can with a 10'er 😅

Cheers,

Steven.

Andrew Boswell

« Reply #14 on: 17/08/2023 at 19:40 »
I would go for:

Length: between 10’6 and 11’

Action: Winston Boron II-esque

Weight: 5/6

Sections: 4 (I have a 3-section 11’3 Whisker and it’s a ballache to fit in the car boot)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com