Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Williamson

Newbie - Hardy Demon rod question
« on: 19/07/2023 at 11:09 »
Hi All.
If you've seen my introduction you will know that I am new to the sport. I've been offered a Hardy 10ft 6wt Demon rod and reel (in exchange for some 'free' labour of mine). Looks to be in good condition and has sat in the owners cupboard for a few years unused. Would this weight and length of rod get me started on the local Assynt and Sutherland lochs ok or is it a bit of an overkill?

Many thanks

Richard

James Laraway

Re: Newbie - Hardy Demon rod question
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2023 at 14:33 »
a #6 is probably a wee bit on the heavy side.....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2023 at 17:26 »
Slight overkill maybe, but I wouldn't rule it out, as a #6 can be handy in a bit of wind  :z16

Richard Williamson

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2023 at 10:36 »
Thank you for the advice/comments. We do have a lot of wind around these parts!

Could I ask what might be more appropriate? A 9ft 4 wt or similar? I do have a birthday coming up soon!

Many thanks.

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2023 at 11:11 »
Hi Richard

These things are very much down to personal preferences, some folk might prefer a #5 and #3 as their usual 'go to' rods, others a #6 and #4.

I checked Stewart's website just now and saw that his hire rods for Assynt tend to be a #6 as a general loch & river set up, and a #3 for small streams. I imagine that he has chosen these as suitable for a wide range of visiting anglers for bank and boat fishing. See https://assyntflyfishing.com/services/equipment-hire/

Personally, I'd be quite happy with a #5 or a #6 as a general loch & river set up.

I haven't cast a Hardy Demon for a while, perhaps somebody else can comment on that particular rod, as the rod action might not be ideal for somebody that is new to the sport?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 20/07/2023 at 15:59 »
IIRC, the Demon is a pretty fast actioned rod. 10' #6wt is a useful size and weight of rod, but the Demon may be a challenge to get to grips with as a beginner. Much depends on the line.
Going afloat on Loch Assynt, a loch I quite like to fish, I would have a 10' #4wt for top of the water use and a 9'6" #6wt or a 10' #7wt set up for bigger/meaner flies on a sinking line.
A 10'#6wt is a useful all-round size, but there would be some sense in getting an easy-going rod in the 9' range as a starter.
With that said, and to be honest with you, the best investment you can make in the short term is getting some good quality qualified instruction sorted out.
The gear can come later - when you know what to do with it  :z16 This might help you find an instructor near to you: http://www.sgaic.co.uk/SGAIC_find_an_instructor.html#Highlands

H

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 20/07/2023 at 16:55 »
Pretty much what Hamish said.  :z16

I haven’t cast a Demon in years. I don’t remember them being particularly fast.

Stick a nice Barrio SLX on it and you’ll have a good all round outfit.

Hamish’s comment about getting some lessons is spot on. Do this before spending significant amounts of money. Good technique trumps shiny new kit every time!

Cheers

Will

Richard Williamson

« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2023 at 19:40 »
Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I've been in contact with Stewart and am hoping to arrange a lesson for next week.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 20/07/2023 at 20:39 »
That's an excellent move Richard, you'll get the best of both worlds, gaining experience from the lesson(s) and Stewart's local knowledge of your area  :z16   

Cheers
Mike

Stewart Yates

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2023 at 23:58 »
Hi All.
If you've seen my introduction you will know that I am new to the sport. I've been offered a Hardy 10ft 6wt Demon rod and reel (in exchange for some 'free' labour of mine). Looks to be in good condition and has sat in the owners cupboard for a few years unused. Would this weight and length of rod get me started on the local Assynt and Sutherland lochs ok or is it a bit of an overkill?

Many thanks
Richard
Hi Richard,

As I think others have said, that's a tad heavy for Assynt, but if you are doing mainly boat fishing it would probably be okay. I tend towards #5 setups and #3 for the wee burns.

Richard Williamson

« Reply #10 on: 22/07/2023 at 06:51 »
Hi Richard,

As I think others have said, that's a tad heavy for Assynt, but if you are doing mainly boat fishing it would probably be okay. I tend towards #5 setups and #3 for the wee burns.
Thanks for the advise Stewart.
And thanks for the messages. I think I’m over Lochinver way next week so will PM you to see if we can meet up. You can then have a laugh at my poor ability  *smiley-funny*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com